This is a classic french dessert filled with sweet cream and dusted with powdered sugar. Homemade is the best and their cream puffs are easier to make than you think. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit than in a medium saucepan combine butter, milk, water, sugar, and a quarter teaspoon of salt then bring that to a boil over medium heat. As soon as it comes to a boil, take it off the heat and stir in one cup of flour and stir with a wooden spoon until the flour is incorporated then place it back on the heat and stir it constantly for about two minutes to partially cook the flour.
Transfer ten dough to a large mixing bowl and beat with a hand mixer to cool the mixture. Add in room temperature eggs one at a time while beating the mixture after each addition, once all incorporated, beat for another minute until the dough is smooth. Transfer the dough to a piping bag fitted with half-inch round tip then pipe about half an inch diameter and one inch tall of the batter onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Keep them about one inch apart to give them room to rise.
Bake them at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 10 minutes then without opening the oven, reduce the temperature to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for an additional 20 to 22 minutes or until golden brown on top. Transfer them on a wire rack and let them cool off completely before filling them with cream.
To make the whipped cream, in a large mixing bowl, combine cold heavy whipping cream, sugar in vanilla extract then beat them until fluffy then transfer the cream to a piping bag and you are ready to assemble. To fill the cream, you can simply push the cream into the sides of the puffs until you feel some pushback.
The second, you can slice them in half then pipe the frosting and then put the other half right on. The third, you can cut the tip and pipe the cream going in a circle round the edge then stick a fresh fruit right inside and serve. Once filled, dust them with powdered sugar and serve. These are so delicious and easy to make, you should try them and enjoy them.
Ingredients for Choux Pastry:
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour measured correctly
- 4 eggs (large), room temperature
Ingredients for Cream Filling and Garnish;
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream chilled
- 4 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 28 raspberries optional
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar to garnish
- Preheat oven to 425˚F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with Silpat or parchment paper.
- In a medium saucepan, combine 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup milk, 8 Tbsp butter, 1 tsp sugar, and 1/4 tsp salt. Bring just to a boil over medium heat then remove from heat and stir in 1 cup flour all at once with a wooden spoon.
- One flour is incorporated, place back over medium heat stirring constantly for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes to release extra moisture and partially cook the flour. A thin film will form on the bottom of the pan and dough will come together into a smooth ball.
- Transfer dough to a large mixing bowl and beat using an electric mixer on medium speed for 1 minute to cool mixture slightly. Add 4 eggs, 1 at a time, allowing to fully incorporate between additions.
- Beat another minute until dough is smooth and forms a thick ribbon when pulled up.
- Transfer the dough to a piping bag fitted with a 1/2″ round tip. Pipe 28 puffs, each 1 1/2” diameter, and 1/2” tall rounds. Keep them 1″ apart and avoid making peaks but if you do get peaks, wet fingertips lightly with water and smooth them out.
- Bake at 425˚F for 10 minutes in the center of the oven. Without opening the oven, reduce temp to 325˚F and, bake 20-22 min longer or until golden brown on top. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
How to Make Whipped Cream
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 2 cups heavy cream, 4 Tbsp sugar, and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Beat on medium-high speed until fluffy with stiff peaks (2 min). Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a large open star tip.
- Once cream puffs are completely cooled, fill them with cream. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.