These perfect sugar cookies are so easy and with the addition of one ingredient, they become a magical treat. Sift all-purpose flour into a bowl with half a teaspoon of salt and corn starch which will make your cookie tender and crisp at the same time. Whisk the dry ingredients together then set it aside.
Into the bowl of a stand mixer, add room temperature butter beat it to cream then add one cup of sugar. Mix it up until its light and fluffy, the butter will become lighter color so closer to white and will really be fluffed up and the sugar is totally mixed in. Add in two-room temperature eggs one at a time, room temperature eggs incorporate way more easily and they are always what you want in baking.
Add in a couple of teaspoons of vanilla extract and mix it up, you can also use almond extract, lemon zest, the choice is yours. Add the flour in one big batch then start mixing that up on low speed until the dough is formed then dump it on a plastic wrap and roll it out between two layers of plastic then let it chill in the fridge for about 20 minutes. You don’t want this dough to dry up in the fridge so it needs to be all covered by plastic.
Once chilled, place the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll it and then dust the dough with sugar. Using a cookie cutter that you have or any shape of cookie that you want, punch the dough and place on a baking tray.
Bake in a 375 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 12 to 15 minutes, you want to watch and keep an eye out to make sure your cookies abe well-baked depending on your oven. Once baked, let your sugar cookies cool before serving.
- 4 cups flour 480g, sifted
- 1/3 cup corn starch 40g
- 3/4 tsp salt 4g
- 1 cup unsalted butter 227g
- 1 cup sugar 200g
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract 5mL
- Sift your flour, corn starch and salt in a large bowl. Give it a whisk.
- In your standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together.
- Add the eggs while mixing. Scrape downsides of the bowl.
- Add 1 tsp vanilla extract.
- Pour in the flour mixture and mix until everything is well incorporated.
- Put the dough in a plastic bag, flatten it together, then chill it in the refrigerator so it firms up.
- Once the dough is chilled, place it on a rolling matt, sprinkle with flour and roll out with a rolling pin. Move the dough around so to prevent it from sticking.
- Use a circular cookie cutter to cut out your cookies. Take away extra scraps to re-roll for more cookies.
- Place them on a non-stick baking sheet and bake at 375F for 12 minutes.