This is a very delicious recipe, it is eggless, easy to bake with minimum ingredients. Sift the dry ingredients that are all-purpose flour, baking powder, and baking soda together for at least three times, as it is an eggless cake, sifting gives more aeration to the cake and it will be very soft once baked. Grease your tin with oil or butter then line with a parchment paper and set aside then preheat your oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
For the wet ingredients, add in yoghurt and sugar to a bowl then mix it very well. You can use a wire whisk to mix until the sugar is absorbed in the yoghurt. Add oil and the fresh orange juice and continue mixing it, Add in the orange zest to boost the orange flavour of the cake and mix that in. Once the wet ingredients are well mixed in you will start adding the dry ingredients little by a little while mixing after each addition until the flour is well mixed into the wet ingredients and no lumps are visible.
Do not overmix the batter, just mix until the dry ingredients are combined in. Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and gove it a gentle tap to remove any trapped air bubbles into the batter then smoothen it up and bake into the preheated oven for around 35 minutes. Depending with your oven, the cake may be baked from the 35th minute and if its nit bake then you can add about five more minutes to ensure that the cake is well baked and a toothpick inserted at the centre comes out clean.
Once baked, remove from the oven and let it sit for about five minutes then remove the cake from the pan and ion to the wire rack. For an addition which is optional, you can prepare the sugar glaze, take about 5 tablespoons of icing sugar into a bowl and add orange juice then mix it in until the sugar is dissolved it has a pouring consistency, not too runny. Pour the glaze onto the cake then leave it for ten minutes for the glaze to set then cut it and enjoy.
- All-Purpose flour/Maida/Plain flour – 1+1/2 cups
- Baking Powder – 1+1/2 tsp
- Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
- White granulated sugar – 3/4cup
- Thick Yogurt – 3/4 cup (at room temperature)
- Vegetable Oil – 1/2 cup
- Orange juice – 1/2 cup (freshly squeezed)
- Orange Zest – 1 tsp
For Sugar glaze;
- Icing sugar/Ground sugar – 3-4 tbsps
- Orange juice – 2tbsps
- First, preheat the oven at 180°C. Grease & flour the baking tin of 7-inch diameter, if you want, line with parchment paper/butter paper. I took a loaf tin.
- Sieve the dry ingredients together at least 3 times and keep aside, this gives more aeration in the flour and helps in making the cake light.
- In other bowl mix sugar + yoghurt and whisk nicely, you will get a very nice texture. To this add orange juice, oil and orange zest and mix. After they are well combined add the dry ingredients and fold in gently.
- Pour the batter in the tin.
- Bake it on the middle rack for 35-40 mins or unless a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean. Mine took exactly 40 minutes. But keep checking after 35 minutes as every oven vary as per the power
- When done, take it out and give rest of 2 minutes in the tin, then remove from the tin and cool on a cooling rack.
- Prepare the sugar glaze – In a bowl take sugar and mix in orange juice little by little. Don’t pour entire juice in one go. Mix well and you will get pouring consistency glaze.
- Once the cake is completely cooled, pour the glaze and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Slice it and serve.