A classic, easy lemon loaf cake recipe perfect for home bakers. It’s moist, lemony, and foolproof to make. It’s so quick and easy to prepare, has such a wonderful flavour and texture, it’s really hard to find any fault in it. Perfect for any occasion. Begin by spraying your nonstick loaf pan then set it aside. You can mix in chocolate chips, a bit of cocoa, cinnamon, different flavour extracts, seasonal spices, etc.
You can also top the cake a variety of different ways, or just leave it plain. Or you can dust it with powdered sugar, frosted it with a light whipped cream frosting.
Zest a lemon in a bowl and try as much as possible to zest just the outer layer of the lemon because that is where the essential oils and flavours are. Once you are done zesting, add the sugar and mix it with the lemon zest, this will extract the oil and flavour in the zest. Add your yoghurt to the sugar and zest mixture, mix that together then and vegetable oil and continue to stir.
Add beaten eggs with vanilla extract then using a whisk, whisk everything until all the ingredients are well combined. Set that aside and move to the dry ingredients. Add your all-purpose flour to a large bowl then add in baking powder and salt then mix that together then gently pour the dry ingredients to the wet mixture.
Combine the mixtures until they are well blended. Pour the batter to your non-stick greased pan and put it into a preheated 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for about 50 minutes.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup whole-milk Greek yoghurt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Coat pan with vegetable oil spray. Dust with flour; tap out excess.
- Whisk 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, and kosher salt in a medium bowl.
- Using your fingers, rub sugar with lemon zest in a large bowl until sugar is moist.
- Add yoghurt, oil, eggs, and vanilla extract; whisk to blend. Fold in dry ingredients just to blend.
- Pour batter into prepared pan then smooth top.
- Bake until the top of the cake is golden brown and a tester inserted into the centre comes out clean, 50–55 minutes.
- Let cake cool in pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Invert onto rack; let cool completely.