Making this eggless is easy quick and it turns out delicious. Eggless sponge cake is enjoyed by everyone and can be served on special occasions. The flavours of the eggless sponge cake would satiate your taste buds. Start by preheating your oven to 180 degrees Celcius and grease your cake pan with oil or melted butter.
Sift 1½ cups all-purpose flour in a large bowl then add 1 cup plain curd and 3/4 cup sugar in another large bowl. Mix well using a wired whisk until smooth then add 1/2 teaspoon baking soda and 1 teaspoon baking powder. Mix well and keep the mixture idle for 5 minutes.
As the baking soda starts to react with the curd, bubbles will start to appear on the surface. Add 1/2 cup oil. Use any cooking oil that doesn’t have a strong smell, e.g sunflower oil, or light olive oil. Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract or vanilla essence and mix well then add the previously sifted flour.
Mix well using a wired whisk or a spatula until it turns a little smooth and no visible signs of white flour. Do not worry if the mixture is a little lumpy. Pour batter into the previously greased pan. Place it in a preheated oven and bake for 35-40 minutes at 180 C (356 F) until the top looks brown or a toothpick inserted at the centre of the cake comes out clean.
If the cake turns brown from the top but remains uncooked from the inside, cover the pan with aluminium foil to prevent the cake from turning brown further and bake again for 5-10 minutes. Let it cool for 15-20 minutes. Run a knife on the sides of the pan.
Place a cooling rack or a plate on the pan and invert both pan and rack to remove the cake from the pan easily. Serve your cake with coffee or garnish with chocolate syrup or vanilla frosting and enjoy.
- All-Purpose Flour / Maida 1 cup
- Condensed milk Half tin
- Milk 1/2 cup
- Butter/flavourless oil 1/2 cup
- Powdered Sugar 4 tablespoons
- Baking Soda 1/2 teaspoon
- Baking powder 1 teaspoon
- Vanilla essence 1.5 teaspoon
- Sieve together all-purpose flour, baking powder and baking soda. Set aside.
- Grease an 8-baking tin with butter or oil and dust with flour. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- In a big bowl, take condensed milk and sugar and beat well till fluffy.
- Add oil and vanilla essence. Beat again.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and beat. Add half the milk and beat again.
- Finally, add the remaining flour and beat. Add remaining milk and beat again.
- Pour the prepared batter into the greased tin and bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Check if the cake is done by inserting a clean knife into its centre. If the knife comes out clean the cake is done. If it doesn’t then bake for another 5-10 minutes.
- Once done, remove it from the oven and let it cool down for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from the tin and transfer to a wire rack.
- Serve warm or cold.