This lemon drizzle cake is a super refreshing dessert that is also very easy to prepare and takes only 30 minutes. In a mixing bowl, add all-purpose flour and baking powder that gives it a quick mix for the baking powder to be well dispersed in the flour, set that aside. In a separate bowl add a cup of sugar together with one stick of softened butter then with an electric mixer, beat the mixture until creamy.
Add in 4 eggs one at a time and beat each egg until it is mixed in before adding another one and mix until all the eggs are combined in the mixture. Add vanilla extract for flavouring with a zest from one lemon then mix it in until just incorporated. Add in the dry mixture in batches and beat it in just until the flour is moistened, smooth and creamy with no lumps.
Pour the batter into a parchment-lined baking pan, smoothen the top and bake in a 3560 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven for 30 minutes or just until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Once baked, let the cake cool down in the pan for about 15 minutes.
To make the drizzle, juice one and a half lemons and combine it with one cup of confectioners’ sugar then give it a stir until combined, poke small holes into the cake and drizzle the lemon mixture over the top then set it aside for the juice to soak in and serve.
- 1¾ (150 grams/5.3Oz) cups of flour
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- ½ cup (113 grams/ 4Oz) of softened butter
- 1 cup (200 grams / 7Oz)of granulated sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- zest from 1 lemon
- 4 eggs
For the Drizzle;
- 1 cup (130 grams/ 4.6Oz) of confectioner’s sugar
- juice from 1½ lemons
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F or 180C.
- In a mixing bowl, add the flour and baking powder to a mixing bowl. Using a whisk, mix until they are well combined then in a separate bowl, add the butter and sugar together and mix until they’re well combined.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla extract in and beat until a smooth, creamy mixture forms then sift in the dry ingredients, half at a time, and beat until well incorporated.
- Grease a baking pan then line the bottom with some parchment paper and pour the mixture in and smooth out the top.
- Place it in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, combine the sugar and lemon juice in a bowl and mix until they are well incorporated.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool then poke holes into the cake.
- Pour the lemon drizzle over the top and allow it to soak in then slice.