Nothing beats cold ice cream on a summer day, this ice cream is made with vanilla and strawberry and they are layered to give you the best feeling and taste of both goods. For the VANILLA ICE CREAM RECIPE, you can find the recipe here and prepare it before. After preparing the vanilla, start off the strawberry ice cream recipe by preparing the custard.
The first thing you will do is take the heavy cream and milk and pour into a large saucepan over medium heat and bring that to a simmer but you do not want to bring it to a boil. In a bowl, mix up then egg yolks and sugar then mix until it is a thick and pale color. To that, add a little of the simmered cream mixture and this is just to temper the eggs because you will still cook it, by tempering the egg, they will not scramble once you add the mixture to the hot milk.
Over low heat, add the egg yolk milk mixture into the pot with the remaining milk and cook that for 5 to 7 minutes or until the mixture thickens. Pass the mixture through a fine sieve into a bowl then to that add a pinch of salt and a drop of vanilla and give it a stir. Cover with a plastic wrap and push the wrap to touch the custard so that it won’t dry on top then place it on the fridge for a minimum of four hours or best overnight.
For the strawberry part of this recipe, you will need fresh strawberries, they should be nice, trimmed and clean, put them into a blender and puree it until real nice and smooth. Take the bowl with the custard out of the fridge and sieve the strawberry on it. If you love the seeds in your ice cream you can just pour the strawberry puree over the custard. Mix everything together so its all nice and combined. Put the strawberry custard mixture in the ice cream maker.
If you don’t have an ice cream machine, put the mixture in a glass dish then place it into a freezer and every 15 to 20 minutes, take a whisk and whisk everything together, it will take about 4 to 5 hours for the ice cream to set. For the ice cream machine, turn it on and let it go for about 20 minutes.
Remove the strawberry ice cream and place it in a dish or a bowl the take the vanilla ice cream that you had made earlier and top it then place into a freezer straight a way to firm up for about one to two hours. The flavors of these two go perfectly together. Serve it as a block then slice it or you can just scoop it with your loved ones. I hope you will enjoy making this and eating it on a warm summer day.
- 3/4 cup (150 grams/ 5.3Oz) of Granulated Sugar
- 1 cup (240ml) of Whole Milk
- 1 cups (440ml) of Heavy Cream
- 5 Egg Yolks
- 450grams(16Oz) of Fresh Strawberries, cleaned and quartered
- ¼ tsp of Salt
- 1/4 tsp of Vanilla Extract
- In a small saucepan, add the cream and milk and bring to a simmer.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar for 3 to 4 minutes or until it turns a pale color and thickens inconsistency.
- Pour 1 cup of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolk mixture while whisking, then pour the egg yolk mixture back into the saucepan with the remaining milk mixture and cook over low heat for about 5 to 7 minutes or until the custard thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- Strain through a fine sieve in a clean bowl, add the vanilla and salt, stir to combine and chill for 4 hours minimum or up to overnight.
- Once your custard has chilled, (make sure you read the instructions on your ice cream machine in case you have to place the insert in the freezer overnight) add the strawberries in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Strain the berry puree through a fine sieve in the same bowl as the custard. Give everything a good whisk to combine it all together, place it in your ice cream machine, and freeze according to manufacture’s instructions.