This dish is simply a chicken cutlet that’s breaded in parmesan cheese and crispy breadcrumbs and pan-fried until crispy and golden. Parmesan crusted chicken is one of my favorite recipes to make for busy weeknights because it cooks up really quickly and it’s really delicious. The combination of bread crumbs along with fresh parmesan cheese makes for the perfect crispy coating. Fresh parmesan is best but in a pinch pre-grated will do.
We start by putting together our breading station, mince the rosemary up really and once your rosemary is finely minced, place it in a breading bowl. Crack your eggs beat all together with a fork until it is well combined. So, our egg wash bowl is ready and we got a cup of breadcrumbs on the other bowl and on the last bowl, grate in some parmesan cheese. Next, we are going to bread our chicken breasts, season them with salt as well as some freshly cracked black pepper. Take our season chicken breasts and coat them with the parmesan cheese, shake off shake off the excess to prevent the bread from falling off.
We then place the coasted chicken bread into our rosemary egg wash and let the excess drip off and the last place is in our breadcrumbs and makes sure it is well coated then lay them on the cutting board until you finish with all the chicken. Add oil into a heating skillet then start cooking the chicken in batches for about 4 to 5 minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy. Once the chicken is well cooked on both sides, remove them and place them to a paper towel-lined plate and you can begin to dig in.!
- 1.25 lbs chicken cutlets (I had 4)
- salt and pepper
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 cup grated or zested parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup olive oil for frying, and more as needed
- Lay the chicken breasts out on a cutting board and season them generously on both sides with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Next, it’s time to set up your breading station. Set out three bowls, and in the first bowl add the zested parmesan cheese, then the eggs in the second bowl, and the panko bread crumbs in the third.
- Strip the leaves from the fresh rosemary sprig and mince them finely with a knife. Add the minced rosemary to the egg bowl, then whisk the eggs and rosemary together until combined.
- Heat up a large skillet over medium heat, and let it heat up while you bread the chicken.
- First, dip each chicken cutlet into the parmesan, shake off the excess, then dip into the egg, then let the excess drip off, then finally dip into the panko bread crumbs.
- When the pan is nice and hot, add enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan, about 2-3 tbsp.
- Add 2 or 3 chicken cutlets to the hot oil (do not crowd the chicken cutlets), and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side, until golden and crispy.
- If the bread crumbs are browning too quickly, you can turn the heat down. Repeat with the remaining cutlets, and enjoy!