A chiffon cake is a standout cake known for its light and airy texture and also because it is super moist this chiffon cake is made in a cubed cake mould and they produce mini chiffon cakes that you are going to enjoy. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add 9 egg whites and start frothing them up then add a little bit of cream of tartar, the cream of tartar provides stability to the egg whites which will give a great volume in the cake.
Add two teaspoons of vanilla extract for flavouring and once the egg whites have reached a soft peak, gradually add a three-quarters cup of sugar. In another bowl with 7 egg yolks, add a three-quarters cup of whole milk and half a cup of vegetable oil and mix that just until they are nicely combined. For the dry ingredients, add granulate sugar to the bowl with cake flour together with baking powder and salt then mix those ingredients until they are combined.
Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until combined then gradually add about a quarter of the egg white mixture into the base batter and fold with a spatula. Pour the rest of the egg whites and fold them until you get a homogenous mixture.
For baking, you can use a 9 inch round cake tin or a typical angel food cake pan, if you have a mini square mould, those are the ones you will use, pour the cake batter in the cake mould top about three-quarters way full. Bake in 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 45 minutes.
If you are baking in an angel cake pan, you will bake them in 325 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 52 to 55 minutes until nice and puffy and lightly golden brown on top. If using an angel food cake pan, cool it upside down then run a knife in the edge of the pan to free the cake.
- 2 1/4 cups (306 grams) cake flour
- 1 1/2 cups (300 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (118ml) safflower oil
- 7 large egg yolks plus 9 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup (158ml) whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 whole vanilla bean, split and scraped, or 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Whisk together flour, 3/4 cup granulated sugar, the baking powder, and salt.
- Whisk together oil, egg yolks, and milk in a large bowl. Whisk flour mixture into egg-yolk mixture.
- Beat egg whites with a mixer on high speed until frothy. Add cream of tartar and vanilla seeds or extract, and beat until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add remaining 3/4 cup granulated sugar, beating until stiff, glossy peaks form, about 5 minutes.
- Whisk one-third of the egg-white mixture into batter. Gently but thoroughly fold in remaining egg-white mixture with a rubber spatula.
- Transfer batter to tube pan or divide among the cubed chiffon pans and bake until top of cake springs back when touched, 52 to 55 minutes. Let cool upside down (over a bottle or on tube-pan feet) 1 hour.