These crispy mozzarella sticks come together in just 10 minutes with only 3 main ingredients – string cheese, wonton wrappers, and marinara sauce. You can also use homemade or store-bought marinara sauce whichever is easiest for you.
Either way, these mozzarella sticks are so incredibly easy to make and absolutely perfect for game day, snacking or a dinner substitute. Simply slice the string cheese in half, wrap it up in the wonton wrappers and fry it in a pan with hot oil. Warm up some marinara sauce and serve it on the side for dipping.
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 4 string cheese, halved
- 8 wonton wrappers
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce, homemade or store-bought
- Heat vegetable oil in a medium skillet to 325 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon water.
- Working one at a time, brush wonton wrapper with egg wash; place string cheese in the center of each wrapper.
- Bring the bottom edge of the wrap tightly over the cheese, rolling from bottom to top until the top of the sheet is reached, being careful not to tear the wrapper. Repeat with remaining wrappers and string cheese.
- Add string cheese to the skillet and cook until golden brown and crispy, about 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve immediately with marinara sauce, if desired.