You can make this stir fry beef with any beef cut of your choice, boneless or with bone-in, the meat will still cook tender and delicious. Serve it with anything of your choice and enjoy. Start off with a tender cut off beef, check out the grain of the beef. Take the beef piece and put it on a chopping board and using a knife cut it in the opposite direction of the grain.
Cut it in diagonal to get wider pieces then in a bowl, add in soy sauce, Chinese cooking wine, baking soda, and whisk a little then add corn starch and give it a whisk to form a marinade. Put your beef pieces in and use your hands to mix it really well make sure each beef gets marinated and set it aside. Begin to make your stir fry sauce and your vegetables. To make your stir fry sauce to a bowl add oyster sauce, light soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and ground black pepper and mix it through using a spoon.
For the vegetables get your chopping board and knife and begin by cutting around your capsicum to avoid the seeds and cut in small pieces. Slice the spring onions too. To stir fry to use a big frying pan which is hot add in your oil then your onion stirs them using your wooden spoon for 30 seconds, 30 seconds later push the vegetables aside and add in your beef.
Then quickly spread it out in the pan to get the beef spread out and searing in the pan rather than being clumped up and stewing and steaming. Let the beef caramelize and get a beautiful colour on it and toss everything together. Just before the beef is about cooked add in your capsicum and stir it using a wooden spoon and give it a chance to soften before the beef is cooked through. Then add in your sauce and toss everything together until everything is coated and add in your spring onions and mix it up and serve it up.
- 2 x 250g (9 oz) striploin steaks
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 capsicums (bell peppers), deseeded and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 spring onions (scallions)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Chinese wine
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 3 tsp cornflour (cornstarch)
- 3 tbsp oyster sauce
- 3 tbsp Chinese Shaoxing wine
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1½ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- Slice the steaks against the grain and at on the diagonal to form wide strips that are no more than half a centimetre thick.
- Whisk together the marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Add the beef and mix well with your hands to make sure each piece of beef is coated. Set aside to marinate for 10 minutes.
- To make the stir-fry sauce, mix the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large non-stick frying pan over high heat. Add the garlic and then the onion and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Push the onion and garlic to the sides of the pan and add the beef strips into the centre.
- Spread the beef out as much as possible and allow to sear for about 2 minutes. Then stir-fry and combine all the ingredients.
- Before the beef is cooked through, add the capsicum. Stir-fry for another 30 seconds or until the beef is just cooked.
- Add the stir-fry sauce and stir-fry for another 10 seconds or until everything is well coated. Turn the heat off and toss through the spring onions.