Made from scratch with only a handful of ingredients, this Vanilla Cake Recipe is the perfect dessert for any occasion. You will start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit then grease and line your baking tin with parchment paper. In a mixing bowl, sift in 2 cups of all-purpose flour and add salt and baking powder. Once you have sifted it whisk it up and set it aside.
In a bowl of a stand mixer, add three cups of room temperature butter and cream the butter so it is nice and smooth then add the granulated sugar while mixing and increase the speed to high and get it nice and fluffy. Mix for about 3 minutes. Once it is slightly fluffy, add three eggs one at a time and let the egg incorporate before you add the next.
Add a tablespoon of vanilla essence, this is the primary flavouring of the cake. Measure one cup of buttermilk, add a quarter of the flour into the mixture and let it mix at low speed then add a third of the buttermilk, repeat and mix it until its almost combined then use a spatula to bring everything together.
If you overmix your batter the cake will collapse once out of the oven and becomes gummy and tough. Pour the cake batter into the prepared cake pan and bake in the 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for about 40 to 45 minutes.
Once the cake is baked, you can serve it with cream or plain, dusted with powdered sugar. Enjoy.
- 2½ cups (280g) all-purpose flour
- 2¼ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1⅔ cups (333g) granulated sugar
- ¾ cup (170g) unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 1 Tbsp vanilla (15mL)
- 1 cup (240mL) buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350F and line your baking pan with parchment paper and butter the sides. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt into a bowl, then whisk together and set aside.
- Cream the butter in a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment or an electric hand mixer. Add the sugar and beat on high for 3-4 minutes, scraping the bowl down as needed.
- Add the vanilla, then eggs one at a time while mixing on medium speed, then scrape the bowl down and mix in high for a minute.
- Reduce speed to low and add the flour in three batches alternating with the buttermilk. Once almost combined, remove the whisk attachment and fold in any remaining butter/flour using a spatula.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin/pan then bake at 350F for about 40 to 45 minutes or until the edges pull away from the pan, and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in pan for about two minutes, then invert layers onto a cooling rack and let it cool completely before serving.