Swiss roll vanilla cake is made by rolling a thin sheet of sponge cake layered with a filling of your choice. This recipe is similar to that of a sponge cake and the only difference is that in a swiss roll, we need to roll the cake. or the cake batter, the first step is to separate the egg yolks and the egg whites and whip the egg whites, adding one teaspoon of vinegar will help the egg whites to rise to their fullest volume and also make sure that they are at room temperature.
Add sugar little by little as you beat the volume of the egg whites become bigger, continue beating until stiff peaks forms, that is about 6 to 8 minutes. In another bowl of egg yolks, add the rest of the sugar and whisk until they are pale yellow n color then add milk and one teaspoon of vanilla essence and then mix until they have a very nice mixture. Sift in the flour into the mixture and whisk until they are well incorporated until you have a very nice, smooth mixture.
The next step is to blend together the whites and the yellow, take one-third of the beaten eggs and gently mix it with the egg yolk mixture. This helps to loosen the egg mixture and makes it lighter. Pour the batter into the bowl containing the egg whites and whisk together slowly until the batter is very smooth.
Gently pour in the batter into the baking pan which is already greased with butter and lined with parchment paper. pour the batter and spread evenly, to the pan onto the counter a few times to break any large air bubbles in the bed. Bake at 375 degrees for about 10 to 15 minutes then take the cake out of the pan, ay a clean towel on the cake and flip it over. Remove the parchment paper and let the cake cool down completely then spread with your favorite filling.
Gently roll the cake over and put the whole cake into a refrigerator for at least two hours and the beautiful swiss roll vanilla cake is ready to eat.!
For the cake;
- 4 egg yolks (18 – 20 gr/ yolk) – room tempt.
- 20 grams granulated sugar
- 40 ml of milk
- 40 ml of oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 30 gram all purpose flour
- 30-gram corn starch
- 4 egg white (30 – 35 gr/ egg white) – room tempt
- a pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon cream of vinegar/lemon juice/cream of tartar
- 60 grams granulated sugar
- 125 ml whipping cream
- 20-grams granulated sugar
- you can also use fruits you like
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar for 3-4 minutes, until thick and pale yellow.
- Beat in the water and vanilla. Beat in the flour, baking powder, and salt, beating just until smooth.
- Line a shallow rimmed baking sheet – about 10×15 inches – with parchment or foil, and if you use foil, butter it or spray it with nonstick spray.
- Pour in the batter and smooth it to fill the pan to every edge.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes, until golden and springy to the touch.
- Run a thin knife around the edge of the cake and invert onto a tea towel that’s been dusted with icing sugar.
- Peel off the parchment or foil, then starting on a short side, roll up the cake with the towel and set aside to cool completely.
- To make the filling, beat the mascarpone or cream cheese with the icing sugar, lemon zest, and juice until creamy and spreadable.
- Unroll the cake and spread with the filling. Roll the cake back up, transfer it to a plate and dust with icing sugar.