This is a very delicious cake made with oil which makes it super soft and stays that way for a long time even when refrigerated. You will start by combining all the dry ingredients in a large bowl starting with all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt then add half a cup of sugar to the sifted dry ingredients. Add oil to the dry ingredients together with warm milk and start bringing them together with a spatula.
For this recipe, you will add hot boiling water and continue mixing until you bring the ingredients together making sure there are no lumps. Adding hot water when preparing the batter will also contribute to the tenderness of the cake. Add in vanilla extract for flavouring and lemon juice then quickly stir it in.
You will need an 8-inch round cake tin that is buttered and lined with parchment paper, pour the batter into the cake tins then pop it in a preheated 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 30 to 40 minutes. For the frosting, add sugar, flour and milk in a saucepan over medium heat and cook the mixture while stirring until the mixture becomes really thick for about 7 minutes.
Transfer teh mixture to a bowl and let it cool then add butter, sugar and vanilla extract and beat with a hand whisk until smooth. Once your cakes are baked, let them cool completely on a cooling rack before frosting. Take one of the sponges and place it on a plate then brush with syrup then apply the buttercream frosting in the centre then spread it evenly and place another sponge cake and frost the top too.
You can also slice the cake into layers and first it. This cake can also be enjoyed as it is without frosting, dust the top with powdered sugar and serve.
- 2 cups (240 grams) of All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 cups (345 grams) of Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup ( 118 ml) Oil
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Milk
- 1 1/4 cup (295 ml) Hot Water
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 sticks (227 grams) of Butter
- 1/3 cup (43 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup (150 grams) Sugar
- 3/4 cup Milk
- Sieve all-purpose flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a deep bowl.
- Add sugar, oil, and warm milk and mix well.
- Add hot water and make a very smooth batter.
- Finally add vanilla essence, and lemon juice and mix well.
- Pour batter into two separate greased cake tins and bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 35 minutes.
- Mix sugar and maida well in a saucepan, add milk, mix well and cook on low to medium heat until the mixture becomes really thick.
- Wait till the time this mixture gets cool down completely.
- Add butter at room temperature to the above mixture, add vanilla essence and beat until it becomes smooth and creamy.
- Decorate the cake the way you like.