This is a really simple family banana cake that uses few ingredients and it is delicious. In a medium-sized bowl, add the flour, salt and baking soda then whisk together until well combined and set that aside. In a big mixing bowl, you will cream together butter and sugar using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add two eggs and mix again until well combined and set that aside.
Move on to the bananas and add 4 overripe bananas in a mixing bowl and mash them really well then and a teaspoon of vanilla extract and a teaspoon of milk and mix them to combine. Bring the three bowls together and alternate adding the dry ingredients and the mashed banana to the butter. Add a third of the dry ingredients to the butter, mix it up then add a third of the banana and mix it up.
Alternate until all the ingredients come together and the dry ingredients are well-moistened add you have a nice and thick banana batter. Add half a cup of chopped walnuts and fold them in slowly, you want to do this so the batter remains nice and airy, keep folding until all the nuts are mixed in.
Pour the batter into a greased loaf 9 by 5-inch pan then smooth it out a little and bake this bread in a 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 70 minutes. Once the banana bread is baked and out of the oven, give it 10 minutes to cool down then invert the cake
on a cutting board and slice.
- 2 cups (300grams/ 10.6Oz) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 (8 tablespoons) cup butter at room temperature
- 1 cup (200grams/ 7Oz) of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups mashed ripe bananas (3-4 medium)
- 1 teaspoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (75grams/ 2.6Oz) chopped nuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9×5 inch loaf pan then in a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, beat in two eggs one at a time, scraping the sides.
- In a medium bowl, mash the bananas then add in the milk and the vanilla extract.
- Alternate adding the dry ingredients and banana mixture into the egg mixture then fold in the nuts.
- Pour the batter in the prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes (70minutes) or until a wooden pick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes in the pan then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.