If you are avoiding red meat or you just need a leaner more healthy option, chicken meatballs are always a great option. They are super tasty. To start, preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and lightly grease a 9 by 13-inch baking pan or sheet with a little non-stick or a parchment paper. You will need 1 to 1.5 pounds of ground chicken, yo8u can also use the same recipe with ground turkey and make turkey meatballs which are also great.
To the ground chicken, add a three-quarters cup of dried breadcrumbs, half a cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese which is a great binding agent. You will also need some minced garlic about 2 to 3 cloves, dried basil, salt, red pepper flakes to add a little heat. Add in the wet ingredients starting with one egg, 1 to 2 tablespoon of extra virgin oil.
Olive oil is optional but it does make for a juicier meatball but if you are watching your calories you can always leave it out. You will also need two tablespoons of milk and Worcestershire sauce. Using your hands, get in there and mix everything together, you want all the ingredients to be evenly dispersed throughout the ground chicken.
When everything is well incorporated, pinch a piece and roll it to about one to one and a half meatballs and place them to the preheated baking sheet. Bake ten in then 400 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 25 to 30 minutes. If you like your meatballs extra crispy, add an additional 15 minutes.
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds ground chicken
- 3/4 cup plain dried bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (optional)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a 9 x 13 pan or baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl combine ground chicken, bread crumbs, parmesan, garlic, basil, salt, and red pepper flakes.
- Add in milk, egg, olive oil, and Worcestershire sauce. Mix thoroughly until ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Shape into 1 to 1.5 inch balls. Whatever size you choose, they should all be roughly the same size for even cooking.
- Bake for 25 -30 minutes. For extra crispy add another 15 minutes