Chicken and rice are extremely flavourful and in this instant pot version, everything is made in just one pot. No mess, no fuss, you just have to set everything and wait for it to get ready. You can make this meal with either white or brown rice. If you want a flavourful chicken and rice, you will first bland cilantro with a little bit of water and use that to cook the rice with. Preheat the instant pot by pressing the sauteed button, you are going to fry onions and garlic in the preheated pot and you will need virgin oil.
Once your onions are translucent just starting to brown, you will have to work faster because once you put the liquid in, you need to put the lid on as fast as possible. After the liquid comes the vegetable then the chicken and closes so you have the least amount of water evaporation. Once you put the lid on, turn off the instant pot and make sure the valve is on sealing. Set it at anywhere between 5 to 8 minutes depending on the altitude that you are living in. Let it cook and once done, wait for the pressure to release itself which will take around 10 minutes.
Once the safety pin has dropped, open your pot then go ahead and shred the chicken and serve your chicken and rice.
- 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 c. white rice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 c. low-sodium chicken broth or water
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Freshly chopped parsley, for garnish
- Preheat Instant Pot by setting to “Sauté”. Add oil and cook onion until softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add garlic, oregano, and paprika and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Stir in rice and broth and season with salt and pepper. Add carrots, bell pepper, and chicken, and season generously again with salt and pepper.
- Close lid, change setting to manual or “Pressure Cook” and set for 8 minutes on High.
- When 8 minutes is up, let pot decompress naturally for 10 minutes, then release pressure, remove the lid, and shred chicken.
- Top with parsley before serving.