Crockpot beef stew in a slow cooker is a really easy recipe and leaves you with really tender meat, one of the best that you will ever eat. Slice your meat tom about one-inch chops and then season it with salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce and mix everything up so that the seasoning and sauce can be well distributed on every piece.
Shake in a little bit of flour that will help thicken the soup, you want a nice, hearty thick soup. Once your beef has marinated, head over to your stove and add oil to the pan then add in your beef pieces and you just want to sear them on both sides until they get nice brown colour. Make sure you give them enough room so that can all be well browned if you have to do it in batches, that will be better.
Just make sure you are not trying to cook it, just browning the beef, cook it for one minute per side and once they are nice brown colour, remove from the pan. Once you have removed all the beef pieces from the pot, add in chopped onions and sautee them until they are translucent. Sprinkle the remaining leftover flour and let it soak in the onions, this will also help the stew thicken.
Add in tomato paste then add red wine and bring it to a simmer. Pour the sauteed onions and tomatoes in a slow cooker then add the meat and all the juices it has accumulated while marinating. Add the vegetables then add the beef broth and some dried thyme. Stir it really well then let it cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 to 10 hours.
During the last 20 minutes of cooking, add frozen green peas and at this point, you can also adjust the seasoning than let it cook for the next 20 minutes. Once cooked, enjoy your thick beef stew over rice or roasted potatoes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pound baby red potatoes, quartered
- 4 carrots, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, optional
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Season beef with salt and pepper, to taste. Add beef to the skillet and cook until evenly browned about 2-3 minutes.
- Place beef, potatoes, carrots, onion and garlic into a 6-qt slow cooker. Stir in beef broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire, thyme, rosemary, paprika, caraway seeds and bay leaves until well combined; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 7-8 hours or high heat for 3-4 hours.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flour and 1/2 cup stew broth. Stir in flour mixture into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on high heat for an additional 30 minutes, or until thickened.
- Serve immediately, garnished with parsley, if desired.