This yellow butter cake can be filled and frosted with any filling of your choice. Start by preheating your oven tp 350 degrees Fahrenheit then butter and flour your cake pan. If you have an electric mixer use the paddle attachment or you could use a hand mixer as well. To start, add room temperature butter into the stand mixer bowl then beat that for like a minute until creamy and smooth. Add granulated white sugar and continue to mix the mixture for about 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
For flavoring, use vanilla extract which has a better flavor then add six egg yolks and have them at room temperature the egg yolks are what is going to give the cake the yellow distinctive color. Add about han]ldf and beat for a minute then add the remaining yolks and beat for about a minute or so. In a separate bowl, sift all-purpose flour and to that add baking powder and salt, if you used salted butter you should not add salt to the dry ingredients.
Use a wire whisk to mix everything in, besides that you will also need milk and you can use whole milk full fat or reduced-fat milk. Add the flour mixture in three additions to the batter and alternate that with milk in two, if you add all the flour at once it will be too hard to mix and you will have to mix for long and this batter should not be overmixed.
Pour the batter into your prepared cake pan and bake them between 22 to 28 minutes and if you touch the top of the cake it will spring back and a toothpick instead at the center will come out clean. Once out of the oven, let then cakes cool in the pan for about 15 minutes before removing the cake from the pan. This cake can be served the way it was with a cup of tea or fried and served.
- 3 cups (300 grams) sifted cake flour
- 3 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (170 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups (265 grams) granulated white sugar
- 6 large egg yolks (110 grams)
- 1 cup (240 ml) milk (full fat or reduced-fat)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 6 ounces (170 grams) unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (226 grams) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups (240 grams) confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Butter and flour or spray with a nonstick vegetable/flour spray cake pan.
- In a bowl sift or whisk the flour with the baking powder and salt.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until soft and creamy (about 1-2 minutes). Gradually add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add egg yolks, in two batches, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
- With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture (in three additions), and milk (in two additions), beginning and ending with the flour.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake between 22 to 28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake just comes out clean and the cake springs back when pressed lightly in center.
- Place the cake on a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes then invert the cake onto a greased rack.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl placed over a saucepan of simmering water. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter until smooth and creamy (about 1-2 minutes). Add the sugar and beat until it is light and fluffy (about 2-3 minutes).
- Beat in the vanilla extract. Add the chocolate and beat on low speed until incorporated. Increase the speed to medium-high and beat until frosting is smooth and glossy (about 2 minutes).
- To frost the cake with the chocolate, slice the cake and apply the frosting, alternatively, you can cover the cake with the frosting and enjoy.