Lemon cake is a very simple cake that you have probably heard of and this version of began lemon drizzle cake is on another level. This easy vegan lemon cake is as light as air, with a perfect texture and a great zing from the lemon. All you need to make this recipe is one and a half cup of flour, one cup of sugar, three-quarter cup of non-dairy milk a half teaspoon of salt two teaspoons of baking powder, a half cup of vegan melted butter, one and a half teaspoon of vanilla extract, 4 tablespoon of lemon juice and two tablespoons of lemon zest. First, you are going to zest the lemon then start adding the wet ingredients starting with the lemon juice.
Add 4 tablespoons of lemon juice, vanilla an the rest of the wet ingredients. Add sugar than salt and baking powder and then mix all that together using a whisk. Ad the flour gradually as you continue to mix the batter until your flour is finished and the batter is well formed. Take your baking tin lined with a parchment paper then pour in the batter and place that in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius. Whilst the cake is cooking, make the toppings.
Mix together sugar and lemon juice for the first topping. When the cake is cooked, poke several holes in it whilst it’s still hot and drizzles over the lemon sugar mixture. Then leave the cake to cool. Next, mix the icing sugar with lemon juice to form a thick icing. Remove the cake from the tin and remove the liner, then drizzle over the thick icing.
- 1/3 cup + 1 tsp (75ml) vegetable oil
- 1 cup (200g) caster or superfine granulated sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cups + 1 tsp (250g) plain all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 cup less 1 tbsp (220ml) soya (soy) milk
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1 2/3 cup (200g) icing (confectioners’) sugar , sifted
- Rice paper flowers and/or butterflies
- Preheat the oven to 170C/325F. Line a loaf tin with a loaf liner.
- Mix the vegetable oil and sugar together in a large bowl. Add in the lemon zest, flour, baking powder, salt, and milk.
- Beat together with a wooden spoon to combine. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Spoon into the prepared loaf tin and place in the oven for 35-45 minutes until golden and cooked through.
- Take out of the oven. Mix together the caster sugar and 2 tbsp of the lemon juice.
- Poke several holes in the hot cake and spoon over the sugar-lemon mixture.
- Leave to cool in the tin. This first topping adds a more intense lemony flavor and moisture to the cake.
- Once cool, remove from the tin and remove the loaf liner.
- Place the icing sugar in a bowl and add half of the remaining lemon juice.
- Stir with a whisk until combined. Add more lemon juice as required until you have a thick drizzle.
- Spoon the icing mixture over the cake. Arrange rice paper flowers and butterflies on top.
- Cut into slices and serve