Cupcakes are perfect for any occasion and these are so soft, light and fluffy. They bake perfectly and has an amazing blend of vanilla and chocolate flavours. If you are a baking beginner, these are the cupcakes you should start with. Start by separating 4 egg yolks and egg whites then whip up the egg whites then add sugar little by little and beat them on high speed until they get to a stiff peak, this may take about ten minutes. Beat the egg yolks in a separate bowl then add the rest of teh sugar until the mixture turns pale yellow in colour.
Add vanilla extract, oil and milk to the egg yolk mixture and combine with a spatula. For the dry ingredients, add flour in a bowl to that add salt and cornstarch then whisk to make sure the cornstarch and salt are well distributed in the flour. Sift the dry ingredients to the egg yolk mixture and fold it in slowly until the dry ingredients are moistened and there are no, lumps in the batter. Combine the egg whites and the batter, adding the egg whites into the batter in three batches and combine it slowly, mix until you well incorporated.
Divide the cake batter into two then sift the cocoa powder into one bowl and fold it in. You now have two batters, to make a lighter batter, you will add about 7 tablespoon of vanilla batter and three tablespoons of chcolate batter in another bowl. Line the cupcake baking tray with cupcake liners then pour two tablespoons of chcolate batter followed by two tablespoons of the lighter batter then two tablespoons of vanilla batter.
Pour warm water into a baking tray then place it in the lowest rack of the oven and bake at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown on top. Once baked, remove from the oven and let the muffins cool. These muffins are light and airy, soft and fluffy and have that delectable vanilla and chocolate flavours. Enjoy.
- 90 g flour (1/2 cup+3 tbsp)
- 1/2 cup (100 g) sugar
- 50 ml(3 tbsp+1 tsp) ilk
- 45 ml 3 tbsp+1 tsp) oil any flavourless oil
- 10 g (1 tbsp) cornflour
- 7-8 g (1 tbsp) cocoa powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs
- 1/8 tsp salt
- Separate the egg yolks and egg whites into two separate bowls.
- Whisk the egg white, until slightly foamy then add half of the sugar( 50 g, little by little) and whisk until medium-stiff peaks form using an electric mixer.
- Into the bowl of egg yolks, add sugar and salt and whisk them until pale yellow in colour and then add all the liquid ingredients into it i.e. milk, oil and vanilla extract. Sift in the flour into this and mix just until they form a smooth batter.
- Very gently fold the egg white into the egg yolk batter. Add in three small batches so that we can do it gently and thus prevent the egg foam to from deflating much.
- Mix gently just until you get a smooth batter then pour half of the batter into another bowl and then sift and add 1 tbsp of cocoa powder into one bowl.
- Gently mix the cocoa powder into the batter and we got the chocolate batter.
- Now mix together about 7 tablespoons of vanilla batter and 3 tablespoons of chocolate batter to get a lighter chocolate batter in a small bowl.
- So we have got three different cake batters, pour in the batter into the cupcake baking tray.
- Spoon about 2 teaspoons of the chocolate batter into the cup. Then add 2 teaspoons of lighter chocolate batter and then with vanilla cake batter in all the cups
- Tap the tray on a surface a few times to get rid of big air bubbles, Otherwise large air bubbles may break open on top of the cake surface when baked and it can affect the beauty of the cake.
- For some room temperature water into a baking tray and place it on the lowest rack of the oven. The steam from the evaporation of water will help the cupcakes to bake evenly without any cracks on top.
- Bake the cake at 300F/150C in the lower rack of the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the top surface turns golden brown.