This dessert features a super soft lemon cake filled with blueberries and topped with a simple lemon frosting. Start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large mixing bowl, combine 3 cups of all-purpose flour, one and a half cups of granulated sugar, one tablespoon of cornstarch, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, half a teaspoon of baking soda and half a teaspoon of salt.
Whisk those ingredients together until nicely combined. Add one-half of the softened unsalted butter to the dry mixture in small additions while beating the mixture with a hand mixer. You can also do this in a stand mixer. When you are finished adding all the butter your mixture will still be pretty dry and look a little sandy.
Add half a cup of vegetable oil to the mixture and drizzle it while mixing on low speed until the mixture is completely combined then set that aside. Measure three-quarters cup of buttermilk then zest and juice three lemons. Measure two tablespoons of lemon and add to the buttermilk together with a quarter cup of lemon juice.
You will also add 4 eggs and half a teaspoon of vanilla extract to the buttermilk mixture then whisk them together until nicely combined. Slowly stir that into the flour mixture you made earlier. Continue mixing until you have a nice smooth batter then add two and a half cups of blueberries then use a spatula to fold them in until nicely combined in the batter.
Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan/ pans and smooth the top. Bake in the 350 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes. Once baked, let the cakes cool in the pan for 10 minutes then run a knife in the edge of the pan and free the cake. Serve this cake with plain according to your liking or you can frost them once completely cooled with a lemon frosting.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (375g/ 13.3Oz)
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar (300g/ 10.5Oz)
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened and cut into 8 pieces (113g/ 3.9Oz)
- ½ cup canola or vegetable oil (120ml)
- ¾ cup buttermilk (180ml)
- 2 Tablespoons lemon zest (zest lemons before squeezing)
- ¼ cup lemon juice (fresh-squeezed preferred) (60ml)
- 4 large eggs, room temperature preferred
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups blueberries (12 oz)
- 1 batch of lemon frosting or preferred frosting