These roll can be made very soft or Italian crusty band it all depends on how you want them for your dinner. To start to add warm water in a mixing bowl. Add to the water instant yeast, sugar or honey, all-purpose flour, whole milk or you can use powdered milk. Get a cup of warm water and to that add your powdered milk and give it a stir to get milk and pour it into the mixture. Then add butter and salt to help with the flavor. If you want to flavor your bread you can add garlic or turmeric. After you have put all the ingredients in the mixer give it a mix using an electric mixer.
When it starts pulling from the sides and cleaning the bowl if it does not you can add extra flour to the mixture. If you take a pinch and it sticks to your finger you need to add a little bit of flour and keep mixing it for at least five minutes. Once it is done it should be smooth and fluffy. Take the dough out of the bowl using clean hands turn the dough in on itself stretch it pull and tuck it under and pinch it underneath. If it is too sticky add a little bit of flour in your hands.
Make a smooth dough ball. Get a clean bowl and spray it with non-stick spray to prevent the dough from sticking to the sides. Put the dough in the bowl and using the non-stick spray, spray the top of the dough. Cover it up with a tea towel and set it aside to rise for one hour. After an hour the dough has risen in size. Gently using your hands deflates it and put the dough on the counter and press it out to remove all the air bubbles. Go ahead and roll it up and make it into a log.
Stretch it out so that the dough is even from one end to the next. Divide it into little pieces. First, cut it in half then cut the half into half again until you get little pieces but not super small. Get one piece and roll it and shape it in any shape you want. Once done shaping the pieces, spray your pan or baking sheet with a non-stick spray.
Put the shaped pieces on the baking sheet. Spray the top with the non-stick spray and cover the top with the cloth and put them on top of the oven and let them rise for 30 minutes. Brush them with egg wash, the egg wash is an egg with water mixed together, (optional). The egg gives gloss sheen. Lightly sprinkle the toasted sesame seeds on top of the rolls.
Once they are done they should be nice and brown. Let them cool in the baking sheet for 10 minutes then resliced them and put them in a cooling rack for the bottom to be crispy. You can lay cornmeal on the bottom to make them crusty.
- 1 1/2 cups of warm water
- 1 tbsp instant yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar or honey
- 6 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 2 tbsp softened butter
- 2 tsp salt
- Any flavoring of your choice – garlic, rosemary, thyme, etc (optional)
- Mix all ingredients together until it comes away clean from the sides of the bowl. Mix the dough for a further 5 minutes. Grease the bowl and return the dough.
- Cover with a clean, damp cloth and let to rising/proof for 1 hr or until it has doubled in size. Punch down the dough and turn it out onto a clean board/worktop.
- Cut and shape the rolls and place them on a greased baking tray. Cover with a damp cloth for the 2nd rise and put it in a warm place.
- Brush with egg wash and shake over the sesame seeds. Bake at 350 degrees F/ 180 degrees C for 25-30 mins or until golden brown.