If you love a juicy tender chicken with crispy flavorful skin, then you are going to love this chicken thigh. With a drizzle of avocado oil and a generous amount of herbs and spices, you can create the crispiest baked chicken that the whole family will love. Start by taking the chicken thighs out of the fridge about 20 minutes before you plan to cook them. This helps to bring them to room temperature and room temperature chicken will cook more evenly and will stay juicier than cold chicken.
Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and start preparing the spices, in a small bowl, add two teaspoons of garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper then give the spices a stir to combine. Make sure the chicken thighs are very dry because of dry chicken equals crispiness. Place the dry chicken in a large bowl then add two tablespoons of avocado oil and give the chicken a stir to make sure it is well coated.
You can substitute avocado oil with olive oil as well then add two-thirds of the spices to the chicken and give it a stir then add the remaining and give it a stir again just to make sure that all the thighs are well coated. Get under the skin and add some spices there as well. To ensure the chicken thighs stay nice and crispy while baking, add a rack on top of your baking sheet.
This will allow the juice to drip down and the air to circulate all around the chicken. Sprinkle the remaining spices over the chicken this and use your fingers to really pat it in good, this will help you get the crispy golden skin that is packed with flavour. Bake the chicken in the middle of the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, it should be beautiful and golden when done.
The biggest mistake people make when baking chicken is they overcook it, chicken is done at 165 degrees Fahrenheit and it will continue to cook once it is out of the oven so it is best to take the chicken out at 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Wait a couple of minutes for the chicken to cool, transfer the chicken on a plate and garnish with a little fresh thyme. Serve with any side dish of your choice and enjoy it.
- 8 chicken thighs, bone-in, and skin-on
- 2 tbsp avocado oil, (or olive oil)
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove the chicken thighs from the fridge and allow them to come to room temperature.
- In a small bowl mix all of the herbs and spices together.
- Place the chicken in a large mixing bowl. Add the oil and 2/3 of the spice blend. Use your hands to coat all sides of the chicken and even under the skin.
- Place the chicken on a rack on top of a baking sheet. Sprinkle the remaining spice mix on top of the chicken.
- Bake the chicken thighs for 35-40 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit. You can also turn on the top broiler for 2-3 minutes to make the top extra crispy.
- Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes before serving.