Hasselback potatoes are a beautiful roast crispy potatoes cut in such a way that they all open up, fan up and you can flavor them in the most beautiful way. You can make these at any time of the year. When the Hasselback potatoes are topped with bacon, it turns the potatoes into the ultimate comfort food. Take your washed potatoes then carefully using a sharp knife, begin slicing downwards into each potato.
Make each incision about half a centimeter apart, beg sure not to slice all the way down to the bottom of the potato. You are then going to place your potatoes into a tray, make sure all the cuts are facing up then you are going to pour in the oil and give it a toss. Pop that int the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for around one hour and fifteen minutes and they are going to make a really good potato.
To prepare your toppings, finely chop two garlic cloves then add to into a bowl along with bacon, chopped into small pieces. After 45 minutes of baking in the oven, remove the Hasselback potatoes and coat them again with hot butter then evenly split your cheese and bacon mixture on top of each potato.
Once al the potatoes have their toppings on, place them back in the oven for between 15 to 20 minutes. Be sure to keep an eye on them as well to make sure that the bacon is not burning. When your Hasselback potatoes have a lovely crispy and golden topping and they are cooled, simply serve them with finely chopped spring onions.
- 6 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 4 ounces bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place each potato between the handles of 2 chopsticks or wooden spoons.
- Slice the potato into thin slices, leaving a ¼ inch at the bottom unsliced
- Repeat with the remaining potatoes.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and brush thoroughly with olive oil, making sure to get the oil in between all the potato layers.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, and roast in the oven for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- When the potatoes are almost done roasting, saute the bacon in a pan over medium heat until crisp.
- Lightly smash the cumin seeds using a mortar and pestle, and add to the bacon along with the chili flakes and scallions.
- Stir, remove from the heat and sprinkle over the potatoes.