The French yogurt cake is probably the easiest cake in the world and is prepared by using cups. In a mixing bowl add the yogurt, flour, sugar baking powder, eggs, and oil. Combine all the ingredients to a smooth pastry. Bake your simple cake for about 30-35 minutes at 350 Fahrenheit/180 Celsius.
Preheat the oven to 350˚F (180˚C). Spray an 8-inch round cake pan with baking spray, rub inside the surface of the pan with a paper towel to cover evenly with the spray. Line bottom of the pan with parchment paper and spray parchment paper lightly.
In a large bowl, combine the yogurt, sugar, and eggs – stirring until well blended. Add the flour, baking powder, salt, and zest, mixing to just combine. Add the oil and stir well. Don’t worry, at first it will seem to separate, but keep stirring till smooth.
Pour the batter into prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until the cake feels springy to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Be careful not to over bake though. Cool cake on a wire rack for 10 minutes; then turn it out of the pan onto the rack.
Combine the lemon juice and powdered sugar in a small bowl and stir until smooth. With a pastry brush, gently pat the glaze all over the cake. Just keep going over the cake till the glaze is gone. Some of it will drip off, but most of it will soak in. Allow cake to cool completely. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired and serve.
For the cake:
- 1 jar plain yogurt
- 2 jars granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 3 jars unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1 jar canola oil
For the glaze:
- Juice from 2 lemons
- 1/2 jar powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large bowl, combine the yogurt, sugar, and eggs, stirring until well blended. Add the flour, baking powder, and zest, mixing to just combine.
- Add the oil and stir to incorporate. Pour and scrape the batter into a greased 9-inch round cake pan.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes, until the cake feels springy to the touch and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Do not overbake.
- Cool cake on a rack for about 20 minutes; then turn it out of the pan to cool completely.
- When the cake is thoroughly cooled, combine the lemon juice and powdered sugar in a small bowl and spoon it gently over the cake.
- The glaze will be thin and will soak in like a syrup.