It almost tastes like a chocolate mousse. The chocolate cheesecake filling folds melted semisweet or bittersweet chocolate into a delicious mixture of cream cheese, sugar, eggs, and sour cream. It’s rich and chocolatey yet with a delightfully tangy flavor. You need a little bit of granulated sugar to help sweeten the cream cheese and make it a little less tart. It’s best of your cream cheese is at room temperature because you can incorporate the ingredients much easier, especially when it comes to folding in the whipped cream.
Make the crust first and then prepare the filling. While you are preparing the filling, throw the crust in the freezer. This will help hold the crust together while you are spreading the filling. You start by making the oreo cookie crust. You pulse the cookies until they are fine crumbs and add the butter. Press into the bottom of a springform pan. Bake for 5 minutes and then allow to cool while preparing the filling.
The fastest way to get cookie crumbs is to place the cookie in a food processor and pulse a few seconds until finely ground into crumbs. Alternatively, you can place them in a zip-lock bag and smash them with the rolling pin into fine crumbs. To make the filling you melt 10 ounces of bittersweet chocolate.
In a stand or hand mixer, beat together the cream cheese, sugar, and cocoa powder until smooth. Add in the eggs and melted chocolate. Pour over the oreo crust and bake. Top of your cheesecake with some dark chocolate ganache and chocolate curls. The texture will remind you of a silky smooth chocolate mousse. While some cheesecakes may have a sour cream topping since this cheesecake is all about chocolate.
Beat cream cheese in a mixer until nice and smooth, add sugar and beat until well incorporated. Add vanilla extract, one egg at a time then continue to mix. Add the chocolate mix in the butter mix and using a mixer let it combine.
- 10 ounces biscuit or cookies
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 10 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- 4 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
- 1¼ cups sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 large eggs
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- ¾ cup whipping cream
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. In a food processor pulse the biscuits until they are fine crumbs.
- Put them into a small bowl and add the melted butter and stir until incorporated.
- Press into the bottom of your greased springform pan. Bake for 5 minutes and remove and let cool while you make the filling.
- Melt the 10 ounces of chocolate in the microwave or using a double boiler until smooth.
- Set aside. In a stand mixer or using a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese, sugar, and cocoa powder until smooth.
- Add in the melted chocolate and eggs and fold in until incorporated.
- Pour over the biscuit crust.
- Bake for 1 hour or until the center is set.
- Let cool to room temperature. Release the springform pan and cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Melt the chocolate, whipping cream and sugar in a small bowl in the microwave or in a small saucepan until smooth.
- Spread on the top of the cheesecake and chill until set. Top with chocolate curls if desired.