This is a simple classic, vanilla cookies made with a different technique from other cookies. You will make the dough then chill the dough before baking. In the bowl of a stand mixer, add a cup of butter then sift in one cup of icing sugar and add half a cup of granulated sugar, with the paddle attachment, mix until nice and smooth.
You will need one egg and an extra egg yolk to give these cookies a golden brown colour, mix the egg and the yolk in the butter mixture. Because this is a simple cookie its all about the singular favour of vanilla, add vanilla bean paste and mix it in. For the flour, add in all-purpose flour and half a teaspoon of salt then mix it starting on low speed until the flour is blended in completely.
Lay a plastic wrap on your counter then place the dough in the wrap and shape the dough then let the dough chill in the fridge. If you want to make them on the same day, let the dough chill for at least two hours before baking, these cookies are best made a day or two before baking them.
Once chilled, remove the dough from the fridge and slice them just about a quarter-inch thick then arrange them on a baking tray and space them well. Bake them in 350 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes. Let them cool once they are out of teh oven before eating them. These cookies are just so crisp and lovely.
- 1 cup (225 g) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup (130 g) icing sugar, sifted
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar (caster sugar)
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tsp (5 mL) vanilla bean paste or extract
- 2 ½ cups (375 g) all-purpose flour (plain flour)
- ½ tsp (2 g) salt
- Beat the butter, icing sugar and granulated sugar well, using electric beaters or a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, until smooth and fluffy.
- Add the egg, egg yolk and vanilla and beat in well. Add the flour and salt and mix until the dough comes together (it will be soft.)
- Shape the dough into 2 logs about 1 ½-inches across and wrap in plastic wrap or parchment and chill until firm, about 2 hours. Alternatively, the dough can be made ahead and frozen, then thawed in the fridge before baking.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F (180 C) and line 2 baking trays with parchment paper.
- Slice the dough into cookies ¼-inch (6 mm) think and place them an inch (25 mm) apart on the prepared baking trays.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until the cookies lift easily from the tray and are lightly browned on the bottom. Allow the cookies to cool on the trays on a cooling rack.