Start off by turning on your grill for at least 20 minutes before you start to grill. Make some incisions to your fresh fish so that when putting the spices they can enter well into the fish. If you have an unprepared fish, the first thing is to remove the scales. To do this, place the fish on a flat surface and hold firm with one hand.
Hold a knife or spoon with the other side and use moderate force to scrape it from the tail toward the head to remove the scales. Cut the belly open with a knife an use your fingers to pull out the innards. Then, use a spoon to scrape out any of the innards you missed. Rinse the inside of the fish under cold water until the water runs clear then make teh incisions.
These cuts will allow the fish to absorb the marinade better. After that, coat the fish well with the marinade and place in a large resealable plastic bag. Finally, seal the bag and refrigerate it for at least 1 hour but preferably overnight.
- 2 medium-sized Tilapia fish
- 1/4 cup Lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 Spring onions
- 1 medium-sized Onion
- 1/2 bunch Coriander (roughly chopped)
- 1 1/2 tsp thyme leaves
- 3 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 Habanero pepper
- 2 tsp Ginger (minced)
- 1 tsp Sea salt
- 1/2 tsp Bouillon powder
- 5 Basil leaves
- In a blender, combine lemon juice, olive oil, cilantro, spring onions, ginger, garlic, red onion, salt, bouillon powder, habanero pepper and basil leaves.
- Blend till smooth. Save 1/4 of the marinade for brushing the fish while baking.
- If the tilapia is frozen, allow it to defrost in the refrigerator.
- After that, wash the fish in cold water, removing scales, gills, and all unwanted parts.
- Rinse thoroughly and pat the fish dry with paper napkins. Make 2 to 4 deep cuts on the fish.
- These cuts will allow the fish to absorb the marinade better.
- Coat the fish well with the marinade and place in a large re-sealable bag.
- Seal the bag and refrigerate it for at least 1 hour but preferably overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 200° C.
- Meanwhile, coat the grilling metal rack with some oil to prevent the fish from sticking while backing.
- When ready to grill, remove the tilapia from the bag and place on hot grilling rack. Brush the tilapia with the marinade you saved aside.
- Grill the fish for about 20 minutes and gently flip to grill the other side.
- Brush the other side with marinade and grill for another 15 minutes.
- Finally, remove the oven grilled tilapia fish from the oven and serve.