This Korean spicy chicken stew is so comforting you have to try it if you love chicken and spicy foods. You are going to need about 4 pounds of whole chicken cut into pieces. You can read HERE how to cut a whole chicken. You want to make sure your chicken has a bone in and skin on fo that impact flavor once it is cooked. Drop your chicken in boiling water and you are going to blench them, the reason for blenching your chicken is to get rid f extra blood in the chicken and any dirt stuff from the bones. Blench your chicken until the water starts to boil which takes about ten minutes, remove from heat and drain your chicken then rinse with cold water.
Place your clean chicken back in the pot and you are going to add all the vegetables. First is the potato, peeled and cut into big chunks either in half or quarters depending with the size. About half a pound of carrot, cut in big chunks so they can cook at the same time with the potatoes and chicken. Cut your onions into big chunks as well and put them into the pit, finely chop your garlic. For the sauce, add three tablespoons of red pepper paste in a bowl together with soy sauce, rice wine, red pepper flakes, a tablespoon of sesame oil, sesame seeds, sugar or honey, black pepper and then mix everything together. Pour the sauce to the pit and then mix everything together.
Cover the pot and you are going to bring that to a boil over medium-high heat, all the juice will come from the vegetables and the chicken. When your chicken and potato starts to boil, reduce the heat o medium and let it simmer for around 40 minutes. Stir frequently because you don’t want anything to burn at the bottom. Once your stew is almost done, cut up some green onions and put them into the pot. Serve your chicken and potato stew over white rice topped with sesame seeds and enjoy.!
- 1 kg chicken cut into medium sized chunks
- 1 cup of water
- 2 potatoes, 450g cut into medium pieces
- 1 carrot, 150g cut into medium pieces
- 1 onion, 190g cut into medium pieces
- 3 perilla leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk green onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
Sauce mixture in a bowl;
- 3 Tbsp gochujang chili paste
- 2 Tbsp chili flakes
- 2 Tbsp rice wine
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sugar, I used raw sugar
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- A few sprinkles ground black pepper
- On medium-high heat, boil some water in a medium-sized pot.
- Once it’s rolling boiling, parboil the chicken for 1 minute. Drain the water.
- In a clean pot, add the chicken, sauce and the water. Boil them over medium-high heat for about 10 mins, covered.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, and onions and boil for a further 7 mins, covered.
- Reduce the heat to medium and stir gently to change the position of the chicken and the vegetables.
- Add the perilla leaves. Simmer for a further 8 mins, covered.
- Garnish with the green onion and sesame seeds. Serve hot with a bowl of steamed rice.