If you want delicious crispy chicken wings straight out of the oven, look no further. These seasoned and savoury baked chicken wings make an excellent party snack or a simple meal. This recipe starts with chicken wings, which are tossed in a little vegetable oil. The next step is to thoroughly coat the wings in the spice rub. The wings go onto a rack, then are baked at high heat until crispy and golden brown.
Add a sprinkling of parsley, and you’ll be ready to eat. It is best to use homemade barbecue rub. It takes just minutes to put together and can be used in so many different ways. If you don’t have enough time to make your own rub, feel free to use your favourite store-bought spice blend.
The trick to getting crispy chicken wings is to bake them at high heat and cook them on a rack. Cooking the wings on a rack ensures that the heat will circulate all around the wings, and any liquid released from the wings will drip away so that the wings roast instead of steam.
Chicken wings should be cooked until crispy and golden brown. This will take about 45 minutes in an oven at 400 degrees F. You will want to keep an eye on the wings to make sure the seasoning does not burn or blacken.
- 2 lbs whole chicken wings
- 2 Tbsp butter unsalted
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Dry chicken wings with paper towels and place in a large bowl.
- Melt the butter, pour over the wings and quickly toss or mix by hand, before the butter solidifies.
- Transfer the wings to a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Season the wings evenly on both sides, with salt, both peppers and garlic and onion powders.
- Baked at 400F on the second-highest rack for 30 minutes, then drop the temperature to 350F and bake for another 10-20 minutes, or until the wings have sufficiently browned.
- Remove from the oven and serve hot with your favourite dipping sauce.