These shortbread cookies are simply the best around. This simple recipe for classic shortbread cookies calls for only 3 ingredients my friends, only 3 ingredients and you get to have the most delectable, buttery and sweet shortbread cookie you’ll ever have. Classic shortbread cookies recipe is super simple and easy to make.
Beat 1 cup of softened unsalted butter with ¾ cup of powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract just to combine. Gradually add flour and mix until everything is incorporated. The mixture will look crumbly or sandy at this point, so you should knead it just a few times with your hands, to come together.
Shortbread cookies are baked at a low temperature (325 F) to avoid browning. When cooked, they are nearly white, or a light golden brown. They may be crumbly right after baking but they will become firmer after cooling.
- 1 cup salted butter softened
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- Mix softened butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla, just to combine.
- Gradually add flour and mix to combine. Do not mix too much. The mixture will look crumbly. Knead it just a few times with your hands to come together. Form a disk, wrap with plastic wrap and chill 45-60 minutes.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 325 F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll the dough 1/3 -1/2 inch thick and cut in desired shapes. You can use a pizza cutter or sharp knife and cut into rectangles.
- Arrange the cookies onto the baking sheet leaving at least 1-inch space between.
- Bake at 325 F until the edges are lightly golden brown (18-20 minutes).