We are going to learn on how to make super soft sausage bread rolls they are very easy to put together and they are best eaten as breakfast, dinner or even snacks so let’s get started with a list of ingredients used in this recipe. We will be using a little bit of salt some yeast, sugar melted butter egg warm milk bread flour/all-purpose flour and sausage links. First prove the yeast in a small bowl add in the yeast, sugar and warm milk and mix it together now and leave it for about 2 to 5 minutes until the yeast is activated. So while the yeast is being proofed mix in together the dry ingredients in a large bowl add in flour salt and sugar and mix it together using a spoon and set it aside.
Check to see if your yeast is well proofed if the form formed on top of the mixture it shows that the yeast proofed. Now put the activated yeast mixture into your dry ingredients and to that add in melted butter and egg and use a spoon to mix it together until the wet ingredients are totally absorbed by the dry ingredients. Once it is done using your hands to knead the dough until you get a soft dough. After the soft dough is done turn it to a floured work surface and knead it until very smooth and elastic and it will take about 7 to 10 minutes according to the quantity of dough you have.
After 10 minutes the dough should be very smooth and elastic and when it is pulled the dough takes quite a long time before it splits and that is what we want. Then transfer the dough to a bowl and rub the dough with melted butter or you can use any cooking oil it works just well and this prevents the dough from sticking all around the bowl when it rises. Cover the bowl and let it rise for about 1 hour or until it is doubled or almost tripled in size. As the dough rests cook your sausage links a bit to ensure that you do not end up with meat that is not fully cooked.
Let them steam in water for about 7 minutes and set them aside to cool before putting them in your dough. Next prepare your baking tray by buttering it up and the flouring the pan to prevent the bread from sticking to the pan once it is done. Turn the pan around to make sure the pan is well floured and then remove the excess flour and set it aside. Now it is time to check the dough and then punch dough the dough to remove any excess trapped air. Then transfer it to a floured surface and then divide the dough into equal parts and take each piece and begin to roll it out to a slightly thick rope.
Then wrap the dough around the sausages picking them one by one leaving space on each end to make room for the dough to rise. Repeat the stage and cover all your sausages and then place them on your baking tray and cover them and let it proof for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes brush them with some egg wash which is a cracked egg and water whisked together. Bake them in a 350F preheated oven and leave them to bake for about 12 minutes or until golden brown and well-cooked on the inside.
Once cooked take them out of the oven and they are ready. While they are hot rub butter all over them to soften the crust and make them shiny. The inside should be soft.
- 2 Cups (272) bread flour plus about a handful for kneading
- 2 Tablespoons (30 grams) butter melted
- 1/2 Tbs yeast
- 2 Egg use 1 for egg wash
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk warm
- 3 Tbsp sugar use 1 tsp for proofing the yeast
- 10 hotdog links
- Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the warm milk.
- In another bowl, combine the butter and eggs and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and sugar, make a well at the centre and add the yeast and the Egg and Butter mixture and mix together until a soft dough is formed.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead until it’s smooth and elastic about 10 minutes by hand and about 7 minutes if using a mixer.
- Place the Dough inside a very large oiled bowl (making sure you smear some oil on the surface of the Dough) and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour or till doubled in size.
- Steam the sausage in boiling water for about 7 minutes. Remove from water and set aside.
- Deflate the dough, and turn it out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into 10 equal pieces, and roll it out into a rope long enough to wrap around the sausage about 3 times.
- Wrap the rolled dough around the sausage and place them on lightly greased and floured baking sheets at least 2 inches apart. Cover the rolls with a damp cloth, and let rise until doubled in volume, about 30 minutes.
- Whisk up 1 Egg and together with a Tbsp of water and brush the surface of the Bread rolls then place in a 350 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or till golden brown.