This spicy garlic fried chicken is fantastic and you can make it in about 30 minutes and you can make it in so many different ways. It is a good midweek meal and you are going to love it. Prepare the chicken wings. Using a large knife or cleaver, separate the wing from the drumette and the tips.
Cut three slashes into the into each side of the drumette and mid-wing section this will allow the pre-frying marinade to get right into the meat to keep it moist and impart a little flavour. Place the marinade ingredients in a large bowl and soak the chicken pieces in it for an hour.
After the hour is up, drain the pieces and discard the milk. For the sweet and spicy sauce heat a large frying pan on medium heat and add the oil and saute the onions lightly until soft and fragrant. Then add the tomato sauce, sweet chilli sauce, Worcestershire sauce, water and chilli flakes.
For the chicken coating, put the three ingredients into a bowl and stirred them and then put them in a large ziplock bag. When the chicken is drained add half of the chicken wings and toss around until coated and place on a large tray. Toss the other half and place on the tray too and start frying them.
Heat your deep fryer to 160C/320F and have two large trays ready. Fry the chicken in batches-not too many as putting too many will cause the temperature to drop too much. Transfer them to the pan and coat them in the sauce and then sprinkle with green onions.
- 2lb chicken wing segments
- 1 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1.5 cups water
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2/3 cup gochujang sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- Pour oil into a deep fryer or heavy-based large pot and heat to 375 Fahrenheit. Prepare a sheet pan by lining it with a paper towel, then place a wire rack on top.
- In a bowl, combine flour, cornstarch, water and whisk to mix well.
- Using tongs, place a wing in the batter then remove, allowing excess batter to drip off, and place into the hot oil.
- Repeat with half of the wings. If your fryer or pot is small you may need to do this in three batches. Cook for 7 minutes then remove wings to rack to cool.
- Repeat with remaining wings, making sure oil has returned to a temperature between batches.
- Allow the oil to heat once more to 375 and fry wings (in batches) a second time for 5 minutes, or until a deep golden brown. Remove to rack again and let stand at least 2-3 minutes.
- While the wings are cooling, combine gochujang, soy and vinegar in a large bowl. Whisk to incorporate into a sauce.
- Dump the wings into the bowl and toss to coat with the sauce. Serve immediately.