This bread is super soft light and airy and they taste amazing, it is so easy to make you won’t have to buy bread again. In a bowl add slightly warm water, honey, salt, and yeast. Stir the mixture until you dissolve them in the water. Then add in soft butter and plain, all-purpose or bread flour. Combine everything together until you get a shaggy mass of dough and now we need to knead the dough. Transfer the dough onto a clean work surface and knead by hand. In the beginning, the dough is a little bit sticky but don’t add the flour.
Just stretch the dough and fold it back to itself and turn it and repeat the process such that it forms a long thread of gluten. Keep kneading for 5 to 6 minutes. You can add a little bit of water or flour if kneaded. Then after kneading for 7 to 8 minutes the dough becomes a little soft. The dough is ready if it passes the window test. When it is done cover the dough and let it rest for 10 minutes. It gives you time to rest and the dough absorbs moisture and the proteins to gather into long gluten threads.
After 10 minutes, knead the flour again for 2 minutes. The dough now becomes smooth and soft and springs back when tapped. Lightly oil a clean bowl and settle the dough in and cover it with oil then wrap it with plastic paper and let it sit for 2 hours to rise in size. After 2 hours transfer it to a floured surface and shape your dough. Using hands degas the dough and fold it into a rectangle.
Fold the bottom top up and fold the top down so that it overlaps the other layer turn 90 degrees and flatten it into a long rectangle using a rolling pin to make sure there are no air pockets inside. Roll it just as you roll a jelly roll. Pinch the dough to seal the edges. And do the same on both sides. This will make the bread have a swirl shape.
The dough needs to get the tension on top to help the dough to get a good oven to rise. Hold the dough with your hands and drag it slowly to your side and place it onto a greased baking pan and wrap it with plastic wrap and let it rise for about 70 to 75 minutes. Once risen bake the cake in a 350F preheated oven for 32 to 35 minutes the top of the bread will get browned at around 25 minutes of baking. This does not mean it is done, if you take it out at this point the center of the bread will be doughy and the bread will have a yeast smell so wait until it is properly baked.
Once it is baked remove it from the oven and immediately remove it from the pan onto the cooling rack to cool down completely. Then apply butter on top of the bread. The bread can be served with butter, it can be toasted, it can be used to make a sandwich, and also it can be served with soup or stew.
- 357 g Flour or 2 3/4 cup
- 210 ml Warm water or 1 cup-2 tbsp
- 1 tsp Instant yeast (Active dry yeast 1 and 1/4 tsp)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 42.6 g Butter or 3 tbsp
- 1 tbsp Sugar or honey or more according to your preference
- Into a bowl add the lukewarm water, honey, salt, yeast, and stir to dissolve. Add in the softened butter and then the flour.
- Combine everything together to form a shaggy mass of dough.
- Transfer it onto a clean work surface and knead the dough for around 8 minutes. Cover them and leave them for another 10 minutes.
- Knead the dough for 2 more minutes and do the windowpane test to check the doneness of the dough.
If it passes the windowpane test, our dough is ready for the first proofing. Otherwise, knead for a few more minutes to get your dough properly done.
- Lightly oil a clean bowl and place the dough inside it and cover it with a damp cloth or plastic film and let it rise for 2 hours.
- After two hours, transfer the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and degas the dough.
- Fold in three parts to form a rectangle and then again flatten it into a long rectangle.
- Make sure there are no air bubbles in the sheet.
- The breadth of the rectangle should be slightly less than the length of the baking pan.
- Roll it just as we roll a jelly roll. Pinch the edges and sides to seal.
- Drag the shaped dough to create a tensive surface on top. This can give a good oven rise.
- Place the shaped dough onto a greased baking pan.
- Cover it with a damp cloth or plastic film and let the dough rise for 70-80 minutes and bake the bread at 350 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven for 32-35 minutes.