This chicken dish is super duper simple and easy and you are going to enjoy. Get about two pounds of chicken wings then add in Chinese cooking wine. Grate in half a tablespoon of ginger, grating ginger and garlic when marinating the meat works better because of all the juice will be sucked into the meat. Because this is salt and pepper wings, salt and pepper is the main flavour so make sure you use very good quality of flakey sea salt about half a teaspoon.
Add a quarter teaspoon of black pepper and that depends on how you want your chicken to be hot. Mix everything well and you can marinate in for a minimum of 20 minutes or overnight. Cover with a plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator. The best way is preparing it the night before you want to make this dish and wake up to the cooking.
You can use corn starch or potato starch for this recipe, so place a few tablespoon of potato starch in a bowl and get your oil over medium heat. Place one marinated chicken at a time to the potato starch and try to drain excess moisture as much as possible from the chicken. Once you have coated the chicken wings with the potato starch.
The best way is to dust your chicken wings and immediately drop in the frying oil. The frying temperature should be at 350 degreesFahrenheght for 12 to 15 minutes and that depends on the size of the chiken wings you are using. Once they are well fried, place them ona wire rack. Chop some onions, garlic, red and green peppers then start to fry them in a wok with butter on high heat.
Start with the garlic and let them cook a little bit then add onions and peppers then add in black pepper. Let them cook for a few minutes then add the frying chicken wings and sautee everything. Serve with sea salt and some extra black pepper. You are definitely going to enjoy this sautee chicken wings.
- 2 lb single chicken wings
- 1 cup Shaoxing wine, Chinese cooking wine or dry sherry
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp grated garlic, approximately 3 large garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp salt and black pepper plus more for later
- 1 cup potato starch or corn starch
- frying oil
- 1/4 of onion
- 3 large cloves garlic
- 1 of each red and green chilli
- 2 green onions
- 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/8 tsp chicken powder, optional
- Combine chicken wings, Shaoxing wine, grated ginger, garlic, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl.
- Cover and marinate for 20 mins to overnight in a refrigerator.
- Preheat a large pot of frying oil to 350°F
- Coat the marinated wings evenly with the starch, shake off the excess starch.
- Carefully drop the wings in the preheated oil, do 2 or 3 batches to not to crowd the pot.
- If you crowd the pot too much, the oil temperature will drop too fast too much, so the wings won’t turn out as crispy as it should be.
- Fry the wings in or 12 to 15 minutes, depending on the size of the chicken wings.
- When the chicken is done the cooking, remove from oil and place on a cooling rack. Repeat with remaining wings.
- Meanwhile chicken is frying, slice onion, garlic, chillies and green onions.
- Heat a large skillet or a wok over high heat and add butter.
- When butter is melted and foamy, add garlic, onion, chillies and green onions.
- Stir fry quickly, about 30 to 45 seconds. Add chicken powder and 1/2 tsp of each salt and pepper.
- Stir fry to mix everything then add in chicken wings.
- Toss chicken wings and veggies all together, until they are well combined, about 1 to 2 minutes.
- Place on a serving place, sprinkle extra salt and pepper as you like.
- Serve immediately.