Garden fresh tomatoes, red peppers, garlic, and fresh herbs are tenderly roasted to bring out their natural flavors throughout, then blended to a creamy finish. This really is the best tomato soup recipe you will ever have and once you learn how to make tomato soup at home, you’ll never buy the canned tomatoes again.
Making tomato soup from scratch is surprisingly easy. It needs just a few fresh ingredients and can be prepared in under an hour making it the perfect weeknight meal.
To make the soup completely in the oven you’re going to add the tomatoes and garlic and spices to your dutch oven with the olive oil and roast it at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.
- 3 lbs fresh ripe tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic peeled
- ½ onion diced
- ½ red bell pepper diced
- Tablespoons olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs basil/parsley/oregano
- Fresh basil & parsley for serving
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup heavy cream optional
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Wash and cut tomatoes cut in half for smaller apricot sized tomatoes, cut larger tomatoes into quarters or eighths.
- Place tomatoes, garlic, onion, bell pepper, olive oil, salt, pepper and dried herbs on a large pan.
- Roast 25 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes. Turn oven to broil and broil 3-4 minutes or until some of the tomatoes get a little bit of char color on them.
- Bring chicken broth to a boil, add tomatoes and fresh herbs. Using a hand blender, blend mixture until smooth and creamy. Add heavy cream if using.
- Top with parmesan cheese, croutons or a drizzle of heavy cream.