These special occasion sandwiches would make an appearance on any big occasion you are having any time soon. Ribbon sandwiches are multiplied layered sandwiches that are cut into thin individual slices. Typically, there are two or three different fillings in each sandwich. To make the ribbon sandwiches, you will need some cream cheese, crushed pineapple, pecan pieces, and butter.
You will need one or two loaves of square sandwich bread, depending on the number of ribbon sandwiches that you want to make. Allow the butter and cream cheese to soften at room temperature. Chop the pecan pieces very finely. Open the can of crushed pineapple and allow it to drain. Then press even more juice out of the pineapple by pressing on it with the back of a spoon.
To make the colored filing, you will need some food coloring, you can use gel food colors. Spread a very thin layer of whipped butter on one side of the bread. The purpose of the butter is to prevent the sandwiches from getting soggy from the filing. Then spread the filling over the butter. Butter another side of the slice of bread and place it down on top of the filing. Then butter the top of that slice. Add the different color of filing on top of that slice, and then butter another slice of bread. Put it buttered-side down on top of the filing.
When you finish making all the sandwich layers, it’s time to cut the crusts. Using a sharp, serrated-edge knife really helped with the cutting. Place a slightly damp paper towel over them so that the bread wouldn’t dry out. At this point, put them in a closed container and placed them in the refrigerator until it was time to cut them into smaller pieces.
- 20 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 20 ounce cans crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 cup pecan pieces chopped very finely
- 3 sticks butter whipped
- 2 loaves of white sandwich bread
- pink and green food coloring
- Divide the softened cream cheese, drained crushed pineapple, and pecans between 2 bowls.
- Mix together with a fork.
- Add a few drops of food coloring into each bowl and stir thoroughly.
- Spread one side of each slice of bread with butter.
- Add a layer of colored filing.
- Spread one side of another slice of bread and place down on top of the filing.
- Add butter to the top of that piece of bread and add the next layer of filing.
- Butter another slice of bread and place down on top of the colored filling.
- Trim crusts from sandwiches.
- Cut each sandwich into 4 fingers about 1 inch wide.
- Cover with a slightly damp paper towel and plastic wrap until ready to serve.