This simple yogurt pound cake is a Morrocan cake that can be made according to your needs by adding your favorite ingredients such as almonds, walnuts, chocolate chips or cover it with jam. This cake is best served with milk or coffee. In a bowl, add one and a half cups of sugar over three egg yolks then using an egg beater, beat the egg and sugar mixture until you get a creamy mixture. Add in half a cup of vegetable soil and at this point, use a spatula to fold in the oil into the batter.
Once the oil is well incorporated into the batter, add the yogurt and continue mixing slowly with the batter in a rotational movement which is moving the spatula from the bottom up. For flavoring, add in vanilla extract or almond extract with one teaspoon of baking powder and continue mixing. To spice the cake up, add one teaspoon of ground ginger into the batter you can either leave out or replace it with other spices like ground cinnamon or cardamon.
Sift in the flour little by little while folding it into the batter until its completely incorporated before adding more until you are done. In a separate bowl, beat three egg whites with a pinch of salt using an egg beater and make sure the egg whites have no traces of egg yolks when you separate the eggs. The egg beater head should be clean and dry otherwise the egg whites won’t fluff. Beat the egg whites for about five minutes until they become firm white peaks.
The last step is to incorporate the egg whites into the batter, add the egg whites little by little to the batter and mix gently in a rotational movement with a spatula and when that portion of the egg whites is completely incorporated then add a little more until done. The final batter should be creamy and smooth.
You will use an 8-inch baking pan of any size, butter it lines with a parchment paper or dusted with flour. Add the batter to the pan and tap it on your counter to release any trapped air then into 360 degrees Fahrenheit oven, bake the cake for 50 minutes and you will know that your cake is ready by pressing gently on the surface and when it feels firm, remove the cake from the pan and let it cool to room temperature before slicing it. Your cake should be spongy and it holds itself together, able to top with any spread of your choice.
- 3 eggs (separated into egg yolks and egg whites)
- 1 cup (4 oz / 114 grams) of yogurt strawberry flavor (or any flavor of your choice)
- 1 1/2 (300 grams) cup sugar
- 2 1/2(312 grams) cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2(120ml) cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- A pinch of salt
- Pour 1 ½ cups of sugar over 3 egg yolks. Remember to use the yogurt cup for all the measurements in this recipe. Using an egg beater, beat the egg yolks and sugar until you get a creamy whitish mixture. Add ½ cup of vegetable oil and mix in using a spatula.
- Once the oil is completely incorporated, add the yogurt and continue mixing gently using a rotational movement, moving the spatula from the bottom to up. Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, you can also use almond extract or another flavor of your choice.
- Add 1 teaspoon of baking powder and continue mixing. To spice things up a bit, add 1 teaspoon of ground ginger to the batter. You can either omit it or replace it with another spice like ground cinnamon or cardamom.
- Add the flour to the batter little by little. Mix in some of the flour and when it’s completely incorporated, add a little more until done.
- In a separate bowl, beat 3 egg whites with a pinch of salt using an egg beater. Make sure that the egg whites have no traces of egg yolks when you separate the eggs, and that the egg beater heads are clean and dry. Beat the egg whites for about 5 minutes until they get firm with white peaks.
- Add the egg whites little by little to the batter, mix gently in a rotational movement with a spatula, and when that portion of the egg white is completely incorporated then add a little more until done.
- Butter the pan, then cover it with parchment paper then add the batter to the pan, and shake the pan to even out the batter.
- Preheat your oven to 360 F degrees which is 180 C degrees. and bake the cake for around 50 minutes.
- Let the cake cool to room temperature before slicing.