First thing you will take some orange marmalade, any kind of orange jam will work. Baking the wings at high heat atop a rack guarantees that enviable crunchy, golden brown skin without all the trouble of deep-frying. For the iconic glaze, sweet orange marmalade meets its match in the form of spicy red pepper flakes sautéed with loads of fresh garlic and ginger. You don’t want something too bitter, you want something sweet.
To that add rice vinegar, some hoisin sauce which is basically the secret ingredient. Add chilli sauce, you can use freshly chopped red spicy pepper or pepper flakes, add a tablespoon of soy sauce and bring that to a boil on medium-high. Cook it for about 5 minutes. Once the sauce is boiled, turn the heat off and set it aside, by now, you should have your bah of oven-fried wings. Get your hot wings in the bowl then add the orange sauce and give it a toss. Let it soak in and you can add in more sauce if you wish.
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tbsp salt plus more to season wings
- 1 tbsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp ground sage
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dry mustard powder
- 1 tbsp powdered ginger
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3 – 4 lbs chicken wings
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup honey
- zest of 1/2 large orange finely grated
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix the flour with the salt, pepper and all of the herbs and spices
- Coat the bottom of a cookie sheet or large baking pan with the canola oil.
- Whisk together the eggs and water to make an egg wash.
- Season the wings with salt.
- One at a time, dip the chicken wings in the flour and herb/spice mix, then quickly into the egg wash and back into the flour dredge again.
- Place the coated chicken wings in the pan and lightly spray the tops with canola oil from a spray bottle.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until fully cooked, golden brown and crispy, turning at least once during the cooking time.
For the orange honey drizzle;
- Add the honey and orange zest to a small saucepan.
- Bring to a gentle simmer for only a minute then remove from the heat.
- Drizzle the wings with the orange honey when serving.