Skillet Garlic Butter Herb Steak and Potatoes is panned seared and cooked to perfection and topped with a garlic herb butter compound. This delicious meal is ready in 30 minutes or less.
For the potatoes:
- 3 tablespoons
- olive oil
- 1 pound medium red potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the steak and garlic butter:
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak, cut into 2 pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Heat the oil in a 12-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add the potatoes cut-side down, sprinkle with the salt, and cook undisturbed until golden-brown and the potatoes release easily from the pan, about 10 minutes.
- Dry the steaks with paper towels. Season all over with 1 teaspoon salt and set aside. When the potatoes are ready, transfer to a serving platter.
- Wipe out the skillet with paper towels and return to high heat until the pan starts to smoke just a bit. Carefully place the steaks in the hot pan and cook on the first side until enough of a crust has developed that the steaks no longer stick to the pan, about 1 minute.
- Carefully add the butter to the pan. Flip the steaks once more. Tilt the pan so the butter pools on one side and add the garlic to the pool.
- Use a large spoon to baste the butter over the steaks. Flip again and repeat with basting. Continue cooking and begin checking the internal temperature of the steaks at 6 minutes total cook time for your preferred doneness. Medium rare is between 125°F and 130°F.
- Transfer the steaks to a clean cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, stir the parsley and lemon juice into the juices in the pan.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then taste and season with more salt and lemon juice as needed.
- Cut the steaks across the grain into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Place on top of the potatoes and drizzle with the garlic butter pan sauce.