These soft, tender and mouth-watering pies in the oven can be prepared with any filling that you like best. In a bowl, add flour, sugar, salt and baking powder then thoroughly mix the dry ingredients together so that everything is well spread. Add in butter to the flour mixture and mix together, you can use your hands to make sure the butter is well and evenly combined in the flour. You should have a breadcrumb-like consistency and once you have achieved that, beat four eggs in a small bowl then create a well in the flour-butter mixture and add the egg mixture.
Fold the mixture in from bottom to up then switches to your clean hands and start to bring the dough together. Add milk which will give a better texture to the dough, transfer the dough to a clean surface and knead it gently but you do not want to overwork the batter. Knead it just until soft and then place the dough in a bowl and cover with a cling wrap then place it in the fridge for about two hours.
For the filling, finely cube half an onion then skin and chop two carrots into sizeable bits and so with the same size of lightly boiled potatoes. In a large pan, add oil and add the chopped onions until it starts to brown then add minced meat and break it in the pan then add seasoning, let it simmer for a few minutes then add the boiled chopped potatoes and ten cubed carrots.
Add in two spoons of cornstarch to thicken everything up and stir it in then set it aside to cool. To make the pie, take the dough out of the fridge and onto a clean surface, cut the dough into pieces the roll, the dough out and cut the dough into a circle, you can use a saucer or a bowl. Take a full tablespoon of the filling and add to the center of the round dough then fold the dough over into half.
Line them on a baking sheet lined with a parchment paper then brush each with a generous amount of egg wash. Bake the meat pie in 200 degrees Celcius preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until they are golden brown on top.
- 6 Cups of plain flour
- 500g Butter
- 4 Tbs of Sugar
- 1 Tbs of baking powder
- 1 Tbs of salt
- 4 Eggs
- 750g minced meat
- 1 large potato
- 2 carrot sticks
- sunflower oil
- half bulb onion
- 2Tbs of flour to thicken the stock.
- Make the pastry dough then set it in the fridge.
- Place oil in a wok and add the onions then let it caramelize before adding then other vegetables. The vegetables in this recipe are optional and this meat pie can be made with your choice of meat. (Ground beef, chicken or turkey.)
- Once the filling has thickened up, roll out the dough and cut it into circles using a saucepan or a bowl the fills with a spoonful of the filling.
- Line them on a baking sheet with parchment paper then brush with an egg wash.
- Bake in a 200 degrees oven for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown.