These tasty mashed potato balls will make a great side dish for your next family get together and you will make them forget about the old mashed potatoes. Simply combine the mashed potatoes, mozzarella cheese, and cooked bacon. The mixture will form a nice and fluffy dough that is easy to work with.
Next, you roll a few tablespoons of the mixture into a ball, stuff it with a cheddar cheese cube then drop the ball in the bread crumb mixture and use the bread crumb spoon to heap it all over until fully coated. Use the back of the spoon to pat it in.
You can also choose to pat in any excess bread crumbs with your hands after this without getting your hands clumpy with breading.
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 2 cups vegetable oil, or more, as needed
- 3 cups leftover mashed potatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl, combine mashed potatoes, cheese, chives, cayenne pepper, and bacon.
- Using a small cookie scoop, roll the mixture into 1 1/4-to-1 1/2-inch balls.
- Working one at a time, dip balls into eggs, then dredge in breadcrumbs, pressing to coat.
- Working in batches, add balls to the Dutch oven and cook until evenly golden and crispy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve immediately, garnished with Parmesan.