This frosted moist chocolate mocha cake is loaded with all the goodness to get you in a good mood. You will use whole wheat pastry flour to replace some of the regular flour, combine with all-purpose flour t give you the right balance of tenderness and goodness. Add in dutch processed cocoa powder, a teaspoon of baking powder to allow the cake to rise, a teaspoon of baking soda, salt then give that a whisk together.
For the wet ingredients, add butter in a bowl then add canola oil, two ounces of melted chocolate that is 60% to 70% solids. You will also use two whole eggs and eggs whites so you have teh wonderful proteins from the eggs. Mix them then add some plain low-fat yoghurt and this will add ana amazing richness to the cake.
Thickens it and will keep your cake moist., add some vanilla and sugar and mix everything in. You will also need a little bit of espresso, a tablespoon full in some hot water. Add the dry ingredients o the wet ingredients and the trick is with any cake, do note overbeat, if you do you will end up with a touch cake.
Once ready, pour the batter into a baking pan and bake in a 350 degrees preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Once your cake is baked, let it cool and ready to be frosted. To make your frosting, add cheese to a bowl to that add confectioner sugar then add one teaspoon of espresso powder then whip that all up together, blend it until it is all nice and smooth.
Pour the rich cream frosting over the first cake layer and spread it then cover with the other cake layer. For the crowning glory, you can shave some chocolate on top or top with some chocolate ganache.
- 2 cups cold heavy cream
- 12 ounces Italian mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup coffee liqueur
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 (8-ounce) packages chocolate chip cookies
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine the heavy cream, mascarpone, sugar, coffee liqueur, cocoa powder, espresso powder, and vanilla.
- Mix on low speed to combine and then slowly raise the speed, until it forms firm peaks.
- To assemble the cake, arrange chocolate chip cookies flat in an 8-inch springform pan, covering the bottom as much as possible.
- Spread a fifth of the mocha whipped cream evenly over the cookies.
- Place another layer of cookies on top, lying flat and touching, followed by another fifth of the cream.
- Continue layering cookies and cream until there are 5 layers of each, ending with a layer of cream.
- Smooth the top, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
- Run a small sharp knife around the outside of the cake and remove the sides of the pan.
- Sprinkle the top with the chocolate, cut in wedges, and serve cold.