This cake is delicious, buttery with yumminess that you are going to love when topped with the caramel. Start by preheating your oven to 300 degrees then you will need a pound of butter in a saucepan and you will bring it to medium heat until it melts and once it starts to foam, start whisking it because it will start to brown. Once it is caramelized, remove from the heat and let it cool.
Pour the browned butter into the stand mixer bowl then add in the brown sugar and the white sugar then with the paddle attachment, start mixing the sugar into the caramelized butter until you get a melty nice caramelized look. If your mixture has not cooled down to room temperature at this point, it is best that you let it cool, before adding the eggs because if you add the eggs when the mixture is still hot the eggs will get cooked in the sugar-butter mixture.
Add in your eggs one after the other while mixing very well after each addition until all the eggs are combined in the mixture then add in the vanilla and almond extracts and mix them in. In a separate bowl, mix 4 cups of flour then baking soda then start adding the dry ingredients into the batter alternating it with the milk until you get a smooth brown batter.
Pour the batter into a prepared buttered and lightly floured bundt pan and you bake in the preheated oven for an hour and 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean. For the caramel glaze, add the sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat and gove it a stir until it starts to boil then add lemon juice and then swirl it or continue stirring with a wooden spoon until it you get a light brown colour.
Take it off the heat then while stirring, add in the heavy cream then the butter. Add in a pinch of salt and vanilla for flavoring then take the cake out of the oven and let it cool completely before glazing. Drizzle the glaze over the top of the cake and serve.
- 1 Pound (454 grams/ 2 cups) Butter
- 1 1/2 cup (300grams) brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup (312 grams) white sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 4 cups (480 grams) flour
- 3/4 cup (177ml) milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees/ Grease and a flour bundt pan.
2. In a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, cook the butter until browned but not burned. It should smell nutty.
3. Beat the butter, and sugars together for 2 minutes. Let cool.
4. Add in eggs. beat well. Add in flour, milk, salt, extracts, and baking powder. Scrape sides and mix until combined. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake in the oven for about 1 hour 40 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
5. Cool cake, invert onto a cake plate and top with caramel. Enjoy!
3/4 cups white sugar
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 cup heavy cream
8 tablespoons butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
tiny pinch of salt
1. In a skillet over medium-high heat add sugar to water, and lemon juice. stir until combined.
2. Allow it to start slowly browning in areas making sure to swirl the pan or whisk to keep it even.
3. Once it’s at a nice light brown, remove from heat and whisk in heavy cream quickly. Add in butter one tablespoon at a time until all is combined. add salt and vanilla and stir. Set aside until cake is cooled.