Cheesy hush puppies are one of the cheesiest recipes you will ever find here and by cheesy I mean from scratch hush puppies wrapped in caste de Oaxaca and topped with spicy honey. First is the hush puppies batter, in a mixing bowl, pour in the buttermilk then crack your egg in it and give that a good mix. After that is done, add in cake flour cornmeal, a generous pinch of salt and finally the cornstarch and baking powder. Give that a solid mix until it comes together to form a thick batter.
Next, you are going to add in chopped scallion, fresh cracked black pepper and a good drizzle of honey. You are going to mix that one last time until everything incorporated and set it aside to rest for about 20 minutes and what that does is it allows all the dry ingredients to fully absorb into the wet ingredients.
While that batter is resting, fill your baking dish with Casa de Oaxaca and stick that in a 400 Fahrenheit ven until the top starts to bubble. While the cheese is getting the bubble in the oven, its time to fry off the hush puppies, so make sure you have a deep frying pot with canola oil. Begin to carefully dial the batter into the frying oil without moving the oil around too much.
Once they start to fluff up and brown on one side, flip them and cook them for another minute until they are golden brown. Transfer them in a bowl lined with a paper towel and toss them a little bit of paprika, cayenne pepper, and salt. Now the really fun part is taking out the bubbling cheese out of the oven and start to wrap each of the hush puppies in the melty cheese. You are going to dip the fork in the gooey cheese, lift it up to make sure its gooey enough to wrap.
Grab a hush puppy and literally just start wrapping the cheese around it as many times you’d like. Set it in a warm serving dish and repeat the process until its all filled up. One thing to note is that you really want to keep the cheese hot during this process otherwise it will start to stiffen up a bit so just keep your oven hot.
Once all the hush puppies are plated up they are ready to eat but if you want to give them a little sweet and spicy flair you can drizzle a bit of honey on top and season it with paprika and chilli flakes. This will be the cheesiest hush puppies of your life, enjoy.!
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp chopped scallions
- Salt & pepper
- 1/2lb Queso de Oaxaca
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp paprika
- Pour the buttermilk into a mixing bowl then add the eggs.
- Mix in flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder, and corn starch then begin to mix.
- The batter should be thick but still runny, add in honey, scallion, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Dollop your hush puppies into the hot pot of oil.
- Once golden brown all around and fully cooked inside then set on paper towels to dry excess oil.
- Sprinkle the freshly fried puppies with paprika, cayenne and salt.
- Put the queso Oaxaca in a baking dish such as this cast iron.
- Bake at 425°F until bubbly and delicious.
- Remove from the oven when ready to serve.
- Wrap the seasoned warm hush puppies in your stringy melty and cheesy.
- Drizzle honey then garnishes with fresh Thyme. and Enjoy.