This chocolate biscuit cake is very easy to make and the best part is you dint have to use the oven. It is not only elegant and delicious but also super easy to make. Begin by crumbling some plain cookies such as graham crackers or digestive biscuits amounting to two cups. Place a hundred grams of hazelnuts on a baking tray lined with a foil and pop it in the oven for about ten minutes or until the skin begins to peel off. Roughly chop the nuts then add them to the cookies and give that a quick stir.
In a separate bowl, add in chocolate of your choice with about 4 tablespoons of Nutella. Also, add in 4 ounces of butter followed by two tablespoons of heavy cream then pop the mixture in the microwave for about 3 minutes stirring every 30 seconds until nice and smooth. Pour the chocolate mixture into the cookie and nuts mixture and give it a thorough stir until all the cookies and nuts are coated in the chocolate.
Press the mixture into an 8-inch pan lined with kitchen foil and greased with butter. Place the tray into the refrigerator for about two hours or until the cake sets solid. To prepare the glaze that goes with the cake, combine a quarter cup of Nutella together with chocolate of your choice then add boiling hot cream over the chocolate mixture and let it sit for about 30 seconds before stirring.
When the cake is set completely, ease off the foil and top the cake with the ganache. Make sure the ganache is at room temperature or colder before doing so. To finish the cake top with some chopped cookies and hazelnuts then chill it for an hour or so for the glaze to set before digging in.
- 2 cups (200 g) digestive biscuits or any plain cookie, crumbled
- 4 oz (100 g) hazelnuts, chopped (I like to toast them but toasting is optional)
- ½ cup (115 g) butter
- 4 oz (115 g) chocolate (a combination of milk and dark works best)
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 4 tbsp chocolate hazelnut spread such as Nutella (optional)
For the chocolate hazelnut ganache;
- ½ cup (125 mL) heavy cream (can be ¼ cup for a thicker glaze)
- 4 oz (115 g) chocolate (combo of milk and dark), chopped
- 4 tbsp chocolate hazelnut spread (optional)
For the topping;
- Digestive biscuits/plain cookies, crushed
- Chopped hazelnuts
- In a bowl, roughly crush the digestive biscuits and mix with the chopped hazelnuts.
- Toasting the nuts is optional, but if you would like to do so, place on a greased baking tray for 10-15 minutes in a 350 F (180 C) oven.
- Then rub the hazelnuts with a paper towel to remove the skins.
- In a separate bowl, combine the butter, chocolate, heavy cream, and Nutella. Microwave, stirring every 30 seconds for 2-3 minutes or melt over a double boiler until smooth.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the cookie/hazelnut mixture and stir gently to combine.
- Firmly press the cookie mixture into an 8 inch (20 cm) cake tin lined with foil and greased with butter.
- Chill for 1-2 hours or until firm.
- For the glaze, place the chocolate and chocolate hazelnut spread in a bowl.
- Bring the heavy cream to a boil in the microwave/in a saucepan and pour the spread and chocolate.
- Let the mixture sit for 30 seconds then stir till smooth.
- Remove the cake from the cake pan and peel off the foil.
- You can wait till the glaze hardens in order to spread it atop like frosting, or you can pour it over the cake so that it forms a glossy outer coating.
- Sprinkle the cake with toasted, chopped hazelnuts to garnish.