This is a simple one-bowl eggless butter cake which requires basic ingredients, this cake will bake so soft that you can frost with whatever you want. The secret number one to make a perfect eggless cake is to weigh your ingredients carefully. The second is to use a correct size tin and the third is not to overbeat the batter then bake the cake at the right temperature at the right time. You will start by greasing an 8-inch square or 9-inch round pan and lining it with a parchment paper.
Get your dry ingredients first, in a bowl, add one and three-quarters cups of all-purpose flour together with two teaspoons of baking powder and a teaspoon of baking soda the lightly mix them then sift the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl. Into the flour mixture, add one can of condensed milk together with three tablespoons of powdered sugar, half a cup of melted butter, three-quarters cup of water and two teaspoons of vanilla extract.
You now need to beat the ingredients until they all come together, make sure you do not overbeat the batter, just beat until the batter is smooth and there are no lumps. After the batter is smooth, you need to stir in two tablespoons of hot water and this will help to make the cake soft and the consistency of the batter needs to be a little runny. If you have a stiff batter you will not get a soft cake.
Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin then tap it lightly to evenly distribute the batter in the tin then bake in a preheated 300 degrees Fahrenheit and bake for 50 to 55 minutes and once the cake is done, let it cool for a few minutes before turning it to a rack to cool completely. Allow the cake to completely cool down in the wire rack then transfer it onto a plate then dust it with icing sugar and top with some fresh fruits then serve.
- 250 grams (1 3/4 cup) plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda/ sodium bicarbonate
- 1 tin/400gm sweetened condensed milk
- 100 gm (1/2 cup) butter, melted
- 175 ml (scant 3/4 cup) water/milk
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar (optional)
- 2 tsp good quality vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp hot water
- Grease and line the bottom of an 8” square or 9” round cake tin with greaseproof paper/baking parchment/butter paper.
- In a mixing bowl, assemble the flour, baking powder and baking soda, mix with a spoon and sieve once to make the mixture uniform.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit (150 C.)
- Put in the condensed milk, melted butter, vanilla extract and water into the mixing bowl containing the dry ingredients. Beat with an electric hand mixer, whisk or spoon or in a stand mixer until the mixture comes together and there are no lumps. This should take 3 to 4 minutes with an electric hand mixer/beater.
- Be careful not to overbeat the mixture as this could result in a hard cake. Stir in 2 tbsp hot water and beat for a minute more.
- Pour the batter into the cake tin and bake for 50 to 55 minutes or till done.
- The cake is done when a knife or cake tester comes out clean when inserted in the centre of the cake. Invert the cake on a cooling rack, cool and use as required.