This is one of the most decadent and delicious chocolate cake and you should swear to try it. It’s so simple to make, so comforting and definitely a crowd-pleaser, it comes together in just ten minutes. To a saucepan add some milk, you want to reserve about half a cup. You are also going to add some heavy cream and sugar and put your flame on low. While that is heating up, add some cocoa powder in a bowl together with corn starch which will help thicken the terrine and also add the remaining milk.
You will be making a slurry which will help dissolve the cocoa powder and the cornstarch and you will get a beautiful smooth silky terrine. You can stop it there or you can add a few gelatin sheets to the terrine. The key is to add the smallest amount possible just enough to make it set. If you don’t want to use it, it will still be okay, just be careful when you are molding it. Add the cocoa mixture to the liquid ingredients and your flame should be on medium and bring the mixture to a gentle boil.
When the mixture starts t heat you, you can add the gelatin sheets and continue mixing. Add soon a the mixture starts to bubble, turn off your flame and stir in the chocolate. Use good quality chocolate you can find, the chocolate will not only gives it great flavor but will also give structure to the terrine. Measure out your parchment paper depending on the size of your mold then line all four sides first and then take two additional parchment paper and line the bottom and the sides again.
Pour the mixture into the mold and then allow it to cool completely at room temperature then pop it in the fridge overnight. On the next day, take a tray or serving plate and place it on top and turn it upside down. Remove the parchment paper, dust with cocoa powder and immediately cut it. If you love chocolate, you have to try this.!
- 1 L Whole Milk ( 4 cups + 1 tbsp )
- 400 gr Heavy Cream ( 2 cups + 1 tbsp )
- 50 gr Unsweetened Cocoa Powder (7 tbsp)
- 60 gr Cornstarch ( 6 tsbsp)
- 100 gr Sugar (1/2 cup) The sugar quantity in this recipe can be adjusted to your liking. Taste your mixture and add more sugar if you like.
- 280 gr Chocolate 60-70% cocoa (10 ounces)
- 1/4 tsp Sal
- 5 gr gelatin Sheets ( 1/2 tbsp gelatin powder. Bloom the gelatin in 2-3 tbsp water). The gelatin is OPTIONAL for this recipe, however I recommend it or the terrine will be very soft to handle.
- Refrigerate overnight.