These easy honey garlic meatballs are baked in the oven so that the meatballs are tender and the sweet-tangy-spicy sauce forms a sticky glaze. The sauce creates a thick glaze on these tender honey garlic meatballs that really enhances the beef. I like to add a little finely chopped jalapeno.
This Honey Garlic Meatball Recipe is so easy, you’re going to be adding it to your holiday and weekly dinner menu. The glaze is a simple sauce of garlic, honey, soy sauce, ketchup, and brown sugar. These five ingredients are whisked together in a pot on the stove until they are nice and smooth and start to bubble. I also added some red pepper flakes and ground ginger for a spicy kick.
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3-4 dozen small meatballs cooked
- 1 green onion sliced, for garnish
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Add honey, soy sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, garlic, ginger and red pepper flakes to a large pan over medium-low heat.
- Gently whisk ingredients together until smooth. Heat through until small bubble starts to form around the edge. You want a simmer, not a boil; about 2-3 minutes.
- Pour about 2 tablespoons of cornstarch into a bowl and add 2 tablespoons of the simmering mixture. Whisk to combine until smooth.
- Whisk the cornstarch mixture into the saucepan. Continue to whisk until completely incorporated.
- Cook over medium-low heat for several minutes or until thickened. Add the cooked meatballs to the sauce and toss to coat.
- Continue to stir over medium-low heat until meatballs are heated through and completely coated with the sauce.
- As an appetizer, serve immediately or transfer to a slow cooker to keep warm. Or serve as a main dish with rice or pasta. Garnish with sliced green onions and sesame seeds before serving if desired.
- Store in a tightly sealed container for several days in the refrigerator.
- Whisk remaining ingredients (except cornstarch) in a bowl and pour over the meatballs.
- Cook on low for about 3 hours.
- To thicken, add 2 tablespoons of the sauce from the slow cooker to a small bowl and whisk in 2 tablespoons of cornstarch until completely smooth.
- Pour into the slow cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for an additional 30 minutes to thicken.